Sandhill hunt

Kirk

The first time we shot (they were too high imho) I shot three times and never got a feather

The next volley three came in and we dropped all three, one shot each.

I shot two more times to finish my limit.
My buddy had one more tag and it took him 4 shots and two groups to get his last bird.
First time I shot at a Canadian Goose I had similar results. It never flinched and I just watched it fly off. I live near (20 miles or so on the water) from the refuge the Sandhill Cranes invade on Chickamauga every winter. Every field around my house has Cranes in and out of it this time of year. They fly over my house several times a week. First time I saw one in person (on ground) I was shocked at just how big they are.

TAFKAP

Seems like it might be practical to use something like TSS #9 on these, and focus on head shots?

I hate to shoot up the breast like Ruger does, but then, maybe all those BB-sized holes are "tenderizing" it :p

I've only ever aimed for them in the head. I bought a box of 3" Winchester Blind Side 1-3/8oz BB a few years ago, and because of how deceptively big/fast they are, some of those BB's have been in the upper breast.

I had a newby buddy shooting at them last year, and he hit one in the leg and shattered it. Those were not fun splinters to work around.

Kahrman

Wow that's awesome! I wonder what they taste like? Maybe somewhere between a Bald Eagle and a spotted Owl? ;)
I'd like to try some and see what it tastes like.
They are delicious. It really does taste like Ribeye,
IMG_6625.jpg
IMG_6626.jpg

Latest posts