Saddle Hunters

Easy3actual

I finally got my saddle setup finished right before the season opened. I'm using the Teathered Phantom saddle and predator platform. I have beast sticks to get up in the tree. I'm still getting my routine down with this system.

Any other saddle hunters on here got any tips or tricks they wanna share?

middleTNbowhunter

Check out saddlehunter.com for tons of great info if you haven't already. I prefer putting a foam butt pad on the tree to save my knees instead of knee pads, but that's personal preference. A back band is critical for comfort. If legal where you're hunting, I always suggest using grade 8 bolts and a treehopper hand drill (or power drill if you're pre-setting trees) as a climbing method over climbing sticks, but sticks are great for public land where you can't drill into the tree.

swd

You want to have a system down pat. My tether is always in my left hip bag on top. The back band is below that. My haul up rope is at the top of my left pocket of my bino harness. The strap to hand my pack and bow from is below that.

Everything has a system and place. I can reach into any pocket and always have what I expect. It all gets put away in the correct order immediately after use.

CharlieTN

Welcome to the group. For me the biggest thing with saddle hunting is to practice, practice, and practice. Don't be afraid to set aside a few hours to sit in the tree and try different tether heights and bridge lengths till you find that sweet spot.

I would also say, as you get your system dialed in, make sure you are putting your gear in the pouches/packs each time. You want it to be second nature when you reach for this or that as you need it. This will greatly help you when you're going up or coming down in the dark.

Shanman

Here's some things to look at and think about.......

tree_ghost

You have to have tree time to assess what works for you. I build my own gear and am constantly modifying it to make my setups more effective. There is no substitute for experience. Get your butt up a tree and hang a while. Once you understand your needs you will not look back. I promise!

Shanman

20200725_061221.jpg

20200725_061257.jpg

20201123_102933.jpg

Don't forget paracord, it's super lightweight, packs down to nothing, and has many uses.

UCStandSitter

Check out saddlehunter.com for tons of great info if you haven't already. I prefer putting a foam butt pad on the tree to save my knees instead of knee pads, but that's personal preference. A back band is critical for comfort. If legal where you're hunting, I always suggest using grade 8 bolts and a treehopper hand drill (or power drill if you're pre-setting trees) as a climbing method over climbing sticks, but sticks are great for public land where you can't drill into the tree.
Been thinking about the tree hopper lately. I'm not into the one stick methods at all. Curious how long it takes you to get to hunting height? Feel like you're faster with bolts than sticks? I've watched several vids on this method but none really cover start to finish of an actual climb without talking and explaining.

middleTNbowhunter

Been thinking about the tree hopper lately. I'm not into the one stick methods at all. Curious how long it takes you to get to hunting height? Feel like you're faster with bolts than sticks? I've watched several vids on this method but none really cover start to finish of an actual climb without talking and explaining.
I'm faster with sticks going up the first time, but I'm faster with bolts coming down and also every subsequent hunt in the same tree. First time drilling with bolts takes me probably 20 minutes, but I also try to take breaks to avoid getting real sweaty. Subsequent trips up the tree with bolts takes maybe 2 minutes.

muddyboots

I ordered a cruzr at beginning of season tried it several times in yard. I never got comfy. I talked the cruzr people several times. They tried to help me but every way I did it felt bad. I was thinking bout trying the jx3 hybrid. Anyone use it?

ImThere

I ordered a cruzr at beginning of season tried it several times in yard. I never got comfy. I talked the cruzr people several times. They tried to help me but every way I did it felt bad. I was thinking bout trying the jx3 hybrid. Anyone use it?
I don't own one but have been in one several times. It's one bad mama jama!! Lol. So far I have resisted buying one.
Their very comfortable, very!

Latest posts