Sabots for 45cal XTP's in CVA?

PillsburyDoughboy

Memo short black sabots . Not sure of the number but that's what they are called . Also try the Harvester Black Crush ribbed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TboneD

Gotcha. I'm leaning toward the Crushed Ribs for ease of loading and reviews.

I like the price of the XTP's but to tell the truth am torn between them and Barnes. Their mighty pricey but I had great results with the Expanders in my old Knight mk85.

Thanks!
Dave

GMB54

Harvester Smooth Black (for upto 300gr bullets) That is how the package is labeled.

MMP HPH-24 is almost the same loaded OD but the sabot is longer.

The Harvester smooth black "short" is very popular in the CVA Optima. The MMP short black is MUCH MUCH tighter.

sg1kyw.jpg

TboneD

GMB54":5c2z70vu said:
Harvester Smooth Black (for upto 300gr bullets) That is how the package is labeled.

The Harvester smooth black "short" is very popular in the CVA Optima. The MMP short black is MUCH MUCH tighter.

sg1kyw.jpg

What do you think about the Crushed Ribs for a CVA? Thanks a bunch for your help.

PillsburyDoughboy

TboneD":1g2t5jgn said:
GMB54":1g2t5jgn said:

sg1kyw.jpg

What do you think about the Crushed Ribs for a CVA? Thanks a bunch for your help.

I use the crush ribbed for some .452 and some .458 projectiles . I found paramount accuracy with the Hornady 4500 .458 with MMP Orange

GMB54

There is a good chance they will work also. My only 50cal loves the Harvester smooth black and its bore is a true .500 land to land. Since the smooths are cheaper and worked well i never bothered trying the Crushribs in that rifle. The smooths load fairly easy in mine but still tight enough to ignite Blackhorn209 very reliably.

stringtalker

TboneD":3q7i6o9w said:

I like the price of the XTP's but to tell the truth am torn between them and Barnes. Their mighty pricey but I had great results with the Expanders in my old Knight mk85.

Thanks!
Dave

If you like Barnes bullets, try they c.o.p. Bullets, they are the aftermarket Barnes bullet. Alot cheaper. I shoot them in my wolf and love them. I shoot the .45 caliber 185 grain with the short black harvester sabot and 90 grains of blackhorn 209, will drive a tack

TboneD

stringtalker":z8ihfv4k said:
TboneD":z8ihfv4k said:

Thanks!
Dave

If you like Barnes bullets, try they c.o.p. Bullets, they are the aftermarket Barnes bullet. Alot cheaper. I shoot them in my wolf and love them. I shoot the .45 caliber 185 grain with the short black harvester sabot and 90 grains of blackhorn 209, will drive a tack

I wonder how much ft lbs of energy that light of a bullet carries at muzzleloading velocities, and for how long. ??

stringtalker

TboneD":34ho2255 said:
stringtalker":34ho2255 said:
TboneD":34ho2255 said:

Thanks!
Dave

Y
I wonder how much ft lbs of energy that light of a bullet carries at muzzleloading velocities, and for how long. ??

Don't really know but I've shot two deer so far with this bullet and it really impressed me. One was a doe at 75 yards double lung pass thru and good blood trail. The other was a 200 pound 8 pointer at 20 yards. It went in thru the neck down thru the shoulders and hung in the opposite side to the back of the ribs. Plus they are accurate

TboneD

stringtalker":kwmlx0ha said:
TboneD":kwmlx0ha said:
stringtalker":kwmlx0ha said:
TboneD said:

Thanks!
Dave

Y

Don't really know but I've shot two deer so far with this bullet and it really impressed me. One was a doe at 75 yards double lung pass thru and good blood trail. The other was a 200 pound 8 pointer at 20 yards. It went in thru the neck down thru the shoulders and hung in the opposite side to the back of the ribs. Plus they are accurate

That is impressive. Thanks.

TboneD

Thanks, guys. I've done extensive reading and the advice on XTP's is all over the map. Toby Bridge says to use the 250 while others say the 300 for better blood trails. On the other hand though, Hornady suggests using the MAG versions for higher velocities. Think I'm going back to BARNES. Specifically the Spitfire Expander T-EZ in 250. Thanks for all the replies.

fishboy1

If you are loading .45 cal in a .50 cal mz here is what has worked for me. (tons of deer killed and a pickup full of hogs)

My old CVA LOVED the 240 gr xtp mag, in the black smooth sabot. Accurate and dropped deer like lightning.
My new CVA hates the 240's but loves the 300gr xtp mag in the harvester crush rib black sabot. ( I can barely load one with the smooth black sabot, tight bore ) Deer always run but only about 10 yards. Great blood trails, and bullet has ALWAYS exited, even on hogs.

I would say to get some of the crush rib sabots. They work better in the tight bores, and I have yet to hear anybody having a problem with them in a looser bore. If they don't work for you, try the smooth bore.

From my experience, there is no reason to spend $$$$ on a mz bullet if the hornadys will group in your gun. Just get the MAG version if you want more controlled expansion. If you want deeper penetration, try the 300gr. MAG I think a lot of issues are caused by trying to shoot a light bullet to try and get extra range or a flatter trajectory. Now if you were hunting big hogs or Rinos at super close or super long ranges, the Barnes copper bullets might be worth the extra $$$. But if you investigate the velocities and ranges most guys are MZ hunting at, the hornady XTP MAG bullets are right in the sweet spot for performance. They are inexpensive, and available almost anywhere, and wallymart typically has a few boxes on clearance at the end of season for an even better bargain. I order mine online by the 50ct box and the sabots by the bag.

Barnes makes a great bullet, but in my opinion, that performance is wasted at MZ velocities. Yes they will open and retain their weight, but so will an XTP for less than half the price. High velocity rifle bullets are where you are using all the performance that barnes bullets are legendary for.

fishboy1

At the end of the day, you will have to test your bullet/sabot combo to see what your gun likes. Your rifle bore might be tighter/looser than spec and prefer a different combo. Everybody has given you good advice and starting points.

Hunting buddy and I try to get the same rifle/mz combos so we can share bullets and reloading supplies, you would be surprised at how different two guns of the same make and model can be.

Latest posts