Rut range-shift is starting

BSK

I've been watching several older bucks on my property that through summer and fall were only being photographed at the very southern end of my property. In just the last week, I've suddenly gotten pictures of them all over the place, including almost a mile north of their normal range. Looks like the rut range-expansion has begun.

BSK

All age bucks have the potential to shift or expand thier range as the rut approaches. In fact, most bucks at least expand their range into areas they normally don't visit outside of the rut.

BSK

BigCam50 said:
BSK said:
I've been watching several older bucks on my property that through summer and fall were only being photographed at the very southern end of my property. In just the last week, I've suddenly gotten pictures of them all over the place, including almost a mile north of their normal range. Looks like the rut range-expansion has begun.

That means is time to really key in on scrapes and hunt them! Also, means its the very tip start of the pre-rut!

Exactly. In my opinion, the rut range shift/expansion is the beginning of what I like to call the "rut preparation" phase (to separate it from the "pre-rut").

Good time Charlie

I hope you are right..we should have had some good deer this year.
But no history of them this year,we let some decent deer walk last year with high hopes this year.
I am going out today,but so far very little Buck sign.
I know I have been noticing a lot of deer activity at night on the way home from work,like dodging rabbits.

I almost think I have run them off with the cameras..I hope this is not the case.I would hate it for the other guys.

BSK

Darton man said:
I almost think I have run them off with the cameras..I hope this is not the case.I would hate it for the other guys.

Cameras will not "run deer off" the property. Deer simply avoid the camera itself. While I still used visible flash cameras, many times I witnessed deer walk towards the trigger area of the camera and simply turn and walk around behind the camera, only to return back to their normal travels once they had passed the camera.

Latest posts