Ruger fish fish freezing method…..

redblood

Sure makes things nice. I can clean a cooler full of crappie quick. Washen em, put em in container, fill with water, and they stack beautifully in freezer. But i have a couple questions. How long will they last? Im getting quite a bit in their- should i focus on using first caught , first? I know it makes sense to do, but i have to re stack a few times so di i need to take time and go thorough the dates?

Next question- can you freeze different species together. All i typically catch are crappie- all i want to catch on lake trips. But had several spotted bass yesterday that were in the cooler- ok to store together. I figure the answer is yes, but maybe some firmer textured fish last longer? Either way, its a great secure way to secure.

TN Larry

I have ate fish frozen in water after a couple of years that got lost in the bottom of the freezer with no issues. It also doesn't hurt to mix species if that's what you wanna do.

I'd rather have cold water spotted bass over crappie 10 to 1, but everyone has their preference.

Spurhunter

Do you put water in the bag or skip the water?
No water. I even pat the fillets with a paper towel to get them somewhat dry. When the sealer pulls the vacuum the water comes out and if it's in the sealing area when it seals you won't get a good seal. It takes a little longer but not having my freezer full of bags of ice makes it worth it.

chimneyman

I still use 1/2 gallon and quart milk cartons they stand up and easy to store then after they freeze can lay em on their sides. Marked if sides and bottom type of fish and how many

redblood

I have ate fish frozen in water after a couple of years that got lost in the bottom of the freezer with no issues. It also doesn't hurt to mix species if that's what you wanna do.

I'd rather have cold water spotted bass over crappie 10 to 1, but everyone has their preference.
I love spotted bass. We were solely spotted bass, rock bass and blue gill eaters until we got into crappie. I agree they are every bit as good as crappie. Crappie are easier to catch and in these waters are really big fish so i guess they are to get big catches on

jlanecr500

I put filets in a gallon zip lock bag with water and a little salt. They lay flat in the freezer and stack well. One bag feeds our family and a couple of big lunches for me at work. We're usually running out when the run starts the next year so it's never in the freezer over a year.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled

cold spots are hard to beat...

agelessssone

Me too! No crappie for us, but love largemouth, spots and Kentuckies.

Latest posts