Ruger blackhawk

7mm08

I was going to recommend this, but I don't think it lists your gun.
44-03.jpg
That pistol is probably too old.... built 1980. Thanks.

Look at it this way.. if it did blow up in my hand it might scare the grizzly away!

WTM

Since you guys are all over this what COMMERCIAL round would you suggest for either in grizzly country either .44 or .45 Long Colt.

I do have a S&W pre- Mountain Gun( 629-2) in .44.
Thank you
buffalo bore 265gr +p dangerous game.

but like elmer keith used to say, if you gonna shoot at a grizzly with a pistol then make sure you file off the front sights.

brassmagnet

Look at it this way.. if it did blow up in my hand it might scare the grizzly away!
Prolly won't blow up, but, would definitely mess up the timing. 240gr JSP should work, but I'd rather have a 12ga. Oh, wait, I do.

WTM

it doesnt matter of the age, it matters of the frame. the 629 has an N frame. theyll handle up to 265gr +p and even the 305 in limited quantities. they werent really designed for the heavier pills and if you shoot them all the time it will wear the pistol out.

7mm08

Prolly won't blow up, but, would definitely mess up the timing. 240gr JSP should work, but I'd rather have a 12ga. Oh, wait, I do.
it doesnt matter of the age, it matters of the frame. the 629 has an N frame. theyll handle up to 265gr +p and even the 305 in limited quantities. they werent really designed for the heavier pills and if you shoot them all the time it will wear the pistol out.
Got it. Thanks!

Crow Terminator

They are all fun to shoot. I do have to say though, I have a Blackhawk in 44 Mag with a 7.5 inch barrel and a S&W 629 with 6.5 inch barrel also in 44 Mag. There's a world of difference in recoil between the two, shooting the same loads. The Blackhawk is a handful IMO. I think it's just the grips though. I can shoot the 629 single handed, no problem. If I tried it with the Blackhawk, I'd bust myself in the head with the barrel flip. Needless to say, the Blackhawk gets shot FAR less than my S&W.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I
They are all fun to shoot. I do have to say though, I have a Blackhawk in 44 Mag with a 7.5 inch barrel and a S&W 629 with 6.5 inch barrel also in 44 Mag. There's a world of difference in recoil between the two, shooting the same loads. The Blackhawk is a handful IMO. I think it's just the grips though. I can shoot the 629 single handed, no problem. If I tried it with the Blackhawk, I'd bust myself in the head with the barrel flip. Needless to say, the Blackhawk gets shot FAR less than my S&W.
I had similar results, my dad had the same BH and the grips were definitely different, it kinda rolls in your hand. I can shoot my 4 inch 629 one handed also with no issues. I have finger groove wooden grips that are real solid and limits movement. The stock rubber grips were awesome also, but the real grippy rubber would catch on my shirt during draw once in a while so I replaced them.

Last edited:

Omega

Or give him the smell of blood to excite his hunger. The pistol's age isn't the entire problem, there are some modern 44s that can't handle that load, but the gun needs to be able to handle the stouter loads, and yes some of the older guns were just not built to handle it. Over at castboolits when this question pops up, that is one of the recommendations that keep popping up, but I had not realized it was limited to stouter weapons.

WTM

another thing i forgot to mention is if these are inherited they could possibly be the old model flat tops which you do not want to shoot +p loads in the 45lc as well as some of the buffalo bore or garret loads in 44 mag. standard pressure loads only in those models.

Granddaddy

I own the Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. Mounted a Simmons scope, sighted it in, killed one deer with & it has sat on the gunsafe shelf since. Thought I'd enjoy using it but never got back to it hunting. Preferred rifle or bow hunting. If hiking or hunting in grizzly country, I'd strap it on. But I don't enjoy target shooting with it either.

Derek

I have one of each. I prefer the .45 Colt. But I also reload. Can't go wrong with either one!
Mt .45 Colt is a 4 5/8 barrel gun. My .44 mag is a Hunter model. LOVE a Ruger Blackhawk!

DaveTN

I bought my Blackhawk because I didn't have a single action "Cowboy" gun in my collection. I couldn't justify the cost of a Colt, so the Blackhawk or Vaquero was a close as I could get. A Blackhawk convertible popped up at a reasonable price.

I bought the .45 Long Colt convertible. It has a separate interchangeable cylinder for .45ACP. I'm glad I did, I bought it at the wrong time, and now can't get .45 Long Colt for a reasonable price, but I have plenty of .45ACP. I would guess both .45 Long Colt and .44 Mag will be slow to recover as they aren't a highly sought-after round, but I'm sure at some point they will recover.

I don't reload and I'm not particularly a fan of either round, but chose .45 Long Colt because that is a round that would have been used in a "Cowboy" gun.

Either round would be a good choice. I hope you enjoy whichever you pick.

Latest posts