Ruger blackhawk

huntintn

If you could pick between the 2 would you chose the 44 or the 45 long colt. Ammo is not a problem as they have over 500 rounds for each that will come with the gun.

Omega

I went with the 44 mag, way easier finding components for reloading, and it does just fine for its intended purpose.

Hunter 257W

I would chose the 44 Magnum since I have multiple Colt SAA clones chambered for the 45 Colt. 45 Colt loads that the Blackhawk could easily digest would be dangerous in the Colts and I don't want to risk getting the ammo crossed up and in the wrong gun. If it wasn't for that, I'd go with the 45 Colt for sure. For a handloader the 45 Colt is superior because it can be loaded with heavier bullets and has a larger bore and more energy and penetration potential compared to the 44 Magnum. One great easily available bullet is the RCBS 45-270-SAA which drops from the mold around 280 grains. The 45 Colt can push that to 1,100 ft/sec without even trying and it's a thumper.

Mattt

I have a .44 stainless. Carry in grizzly country. Like the .45lc wouldn't say no to either. Ammo is easier to find in .44 had another one years ago,7-1/2" barrel, I parkerized it and put a Simmons scope on it. Loved it. It was stolen from my house in 2005.

WTM

either one works but if you want local ammo, id go with the 44mag. you can order hunting ammo for the 45 and even at standard pressures it will put a 250 xtp grain thru a deer at 50 yards, and maybe 2 side by side.

the 255gr keith swc is a killer even at standard pressures but the there are 2 problems with 45lc in rugers for lead bullets. cylinder throat dimensions and a .001 bulge forward of the forcing cone where they torque the barrel. the stainless models dont seem to have the bulge but still have the throat problem. the barrel bulge and cylinder throat problem will cause leading and accuracy issues if not addressed. they still shoot jacketed bullets accurate enough for hunting though.

7mm08

Since you guys are all over this what COMMERCIAL round would you suggest for either in grizzly country either .44 or .45 Long Colt.

I do have a S&W pre- Mountain Gun( 629-2) in .44.
Thank you

Omega

Since you guys are all over this what COMMERCIAL round would you suggest for either in grizzly country either .44 or .45 Long Colt.

I do have a S&W pre- Mountain Gun( 629-2) in .44.
Thank you
I was going to recommend this, but I don't think it lists your gun.
44-03.jpg

Latest posts