Rubermaid totes for camping

moondawg

Anyone use them to store camping gear?

I do. It makes hauling gear so much easier. I have a little system going to make packing and carrying the stuff easier. I can throw them in the back of the truck and not worry if it rains.

Bedroom Tote: tent, 2 tarps (inside and outside the tent) air mattress, and a sleeping bag in a compression sack.

(You know, the tent somehow NEVER fits back in the sack you bought it with...a tote is better and easier to fit it in.)

Closet Tote: clothes, toiletries and small 1st aid kit for the camping trip. Also doubles as a nightstand to keep your glasses, lantern/flashlight, watch, etc.

Fishing Tote: Fishing gear, waders, boots, net, etc.

Kitchen Tote: One for food, another for cookware (pots/pans, etc), and another for stuff like bowls, plasticware, paper towels, soap, etc.

Kinda geeky, I know. But I'm kinda geeky like that. :D

GRAMPS

R.I.P.
Yep, been using them for years. Also have a large tote that I carry firewood in. Helps keep the back of my truck clean.

FULLDRAWXX75

I have actually used one or two in a pinch as a cooler to transport meat home from camp.

Place the quartered up meat in (food grade) plastic bags, then layer with newspapers and ice. You would be surprised at how long the ice will stay layered like that. (couple days)

We use them for everything camp related as well as around the house, I have summer & winter totes for clothes, all my hunting gear has its own tote as well. They stack well and stay dry.

FDXX75

PS: Forgot to mention, they make for a great winter time compost bin in the basement also.............

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Rubbermaid totes for camping??? That's the only reason Rubbermaid stays in business. There were no less than 47 of them in this trailer. We could have opened up our own sporting goods store here.
epeko7.jpg

44fanatic

R.I.P.
Use em and keep em organized by function. Makes it easy to see what needs to be replenished/replaced. Pulled em out of the garage and load the truck in minutes. Just as easy to unpack at the end of a camping trip.

skynimrod

I use them all the time for everything!
I also found a bigger one than normal with impregnated ceder for my hunting clothes.

Tnyoteboy

k810329 said:
Tnyoteboy said:
I've always liked Rubbermaid Action Packers, but I can't seem to find them anymore.
i carry 2 on my 4 wheeler.walmarts about the only place i see them anymore

That's where I used to see them, for some reason mine hasn't had them in a while.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
Yep, use them alot. I put strips of masking tape on the lid and write the contents on each strip. We usually have a couple for food items and one for papergoods etc.