Royal Blue/Sunquist WMA

String Music

Are there any turkeys up there? With all that land, there is bound to be a good turkey population. Has anybody had any success up there?

tnbucs1

It's a 50/50 on where I will be opening day. I have a farm in Campbell Co. that I may hunt or I will be up on Royal Blue.
I know there are plenty of turkeys up there and have seen them in a variety of locations but am planning on doing some serious walking bc I have not been up there this spring yet.

bowhunter16

I am from campbell county its full of birds in most royal blue areas if you can find a spot is the main thing its hunted to death first couple of weekends are great then good luck they have heard every call made. I can show you some really nice spots pm me if you ever wanna go good luck

String Music

Does everybody hunt close to the roads? I'm trying to find spots that don't have many roads by them. Any tips on where to park or start scouting?

RAFI

do they gobble good at royal blue?didn't know with all the hunters and atv riders around.

Setterman

Yes they gobble good, and yes there are lots of birds. If there are no ATV trails nearby then there are no people in my experience. The majority of RB users are the laziest bunch of folks around, if they can't ride and call they don't bother.

Why in the world would you (String Music) worry about RB with the land your family owns right next door? There is more then enough birds to keep 20 folks occupied and limited each season on that property. If I had that land, RB or any public land would find my absence.

String Music

Setterman said:
Yes they gobble good, and yes there are lots of birds. If there are no ATV trails nearby then there are no people in my experience. The majority of RB users are the laziest bunch of folks around, if they can't ride and call they don't bother.

Why in the world would you (String Music) worry about RB with the land your family owns right next door? There is more then enough birds to keep 20 folks occupied and limited each season on that property. If I had that land, RB or any public land would find my absence.

I'm ready for a challenge. Anybody can kill on private land. Especially when you have all the birds patterned. Plus, we have the disabled/wounded warrior hunt on April 24-so I'm trying not to pressure the birds as much.

Diehard Hunter

There are NO birds at Royal Blue..Again, There are NO birds on Royal Blue. I'll make sure I am up there to let averyone know on Saturday. Again, There are NO birds on Royal Blue!!!!!!

tnbucs1

Diehard Hunter said:
There are NO birds at Royal Blue..Again, There are NO birds on Royal Blue. I'll make sure I am up there to let averyone know on Saturday. Again, There are NO birds on Royal Blue!!!!!!
I'll cover the East Side if you need backup

Setterman

String Music said:
Setterman said:

I'm ready for a challenge. Anybody can kill on private land. Especially when you have all the birds patterned. Plus, we have the disabled/wounded warrior hunt on April 24-so I'm trying not to pressure the birds as much.

Gotcha, RB isn't that much harder then your place. Just not nearly the ease of walking roads or having the plots/fields you all do.

There are birds all over RB, however I have had much less luck on the east side of 75, then I have on the west side of 75. I have killed several birds around Ivydale, but the ATV idiots riding and calling where real thin on me.

If you want a challenge, PM me, and I will take you to a couple of places where you can work your mind and legs climbing to birds, which are plain evil.