Food Plots Roundup Ready Corn begats RR Corn

Hunter 257W

I have wondered for a while now whether the seed from RR corn would still be resistant to Roundup. Well now I know. I planted RR corn last Summer (2014) and a fair amount of it wasn't eaten when this Spring (2015) rolled around. When I bush hogged the field of course a lot of corn started coming up from the left over standing corn. I went in about a month ago and sprayed RoundUp on both plots and killed everything - except the corn. :tu: So it IS still resistant to RoundUp after all.

While bush hogging again last Saturday, I decided to leave part of my plots "as-is" rather than trying to cut and disk up the corn and spend money planting it in something else next month. In other words the "Free" corn will be my Fall/Winter plot for this year in a portion of my plots. I suspect it may not produce as much per acre as last year but for the cost what have I got to lose? Anybody else ever do this?

Hunter 257W

muddyboots":3e7vada3 said:
Naw man. Never any corn left here.

I was surprised that I had enough left to seed the field that well too. There was plenty of corn left standing when deer season ended but by Spring it was getting pretty sparse. Don't take but 50 or so lbs though to seed a 3 acre field fairly thick. I'm really anxious to see how much it produces.

primos32

Curious to see how your corn turns out. Most RR corn seed for purchase these days are hybrids. The offspring from these hybrids which is the corn plants that came up tend to not do as well as in the ears are blank or kernels are sporadic. Would be curious to see what the ears look like at maturity.

Hunter 257W

primos32":2wokcptb said:
Curious to see how your corn turns out. Most RR corn seed for purchase these days are hybrids. The offspring from these hybrids which is the corn plants that came up tend to not do as well as in the ears are blank or kernels are sporadic. Would be curious to see what the ears look like at maturity.

Yeah I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic for that reason. The plot I'm trying this in is in an open area so the extra cover of standing corn is a plus in that particular area and also, as I said before, the free cost of growing a plot like this can't be ignored. We'll see how the actual ears of corn turn out in a month or so. Stay tuned for results. :D

Latest posts