Food Plots Corn breaking ground

Smoke

10 days in and you can make out the rows now. Hancock Seed dwarf deer corn. Did great last year. Gets 6-7 feet tall and Roundup ready.
IMG_20230621_170359244.jpg

JCDEERMAN

Yours look better than ours and we planted almost 6 weeks ago. When planted, we didn't get rain for 5 weeks. And only have gotten .6" since Sunday. Feel blessed

Smoke

do you do anything to keep crows, turkeys out of it?
I've tried everything to keep turkeys out of plots and haven't found anything that works. Tried full body coyote decoy once and got pics of them scratching around it. So far they don't seem to bother my corn field as bad as my fall plots.

twcgo

ive got just the opposite problem. they either dig the seeds out or wait till they bout the height of yours and pull up plant then get seed. even tried turpentine this year and no help. wont bother beans though

JCDEERMAN

Wow, can't believe that's all you've gotten. We planted the 9th and have received 2.44" since then. Summer storms can produce some amazingly spotty rainfall.
It's unbelievable. It seems every cell on the radar breaks up right before it hits our place….whichever direction it comes from, while 5 miles in either direction gets the yellow and red. My cousin is living there temporarily and watching the rain gauge 🙁

BSK

It's unbelievable. It seems every cell on the radar breaks up right before it hits our place….whichever direction it comes from, while 5 miles in either direction gets the yellow and red. My cousin is living there temporarily and watching the rain gauge 🙁
Sounds like my place last year. From the beginning of June until late October we got rain just five times, and it totaled only about 3.5" over 5 months. The norm for that time period is over 15".

Ski

ive got just the opposite problem. they either dig the seeds out or wait till they bout the height of yours and pull up plant then get seed. even tried turpentine this year and no help. wont bother beans though

That's what happened to me this year except it wasn't turkeys. Chipmunks and blackbirds pulled them, ate the kernel, and left the plant lie. Substantial loss.

Ski

Hang in there. Hopefully a good soaking will come your way.

Latest posts