Food Plots Rocks

BSK

In our area when they trim trees I'm always stopping the guys and offering places to dump the mulch and they are glad to, Last year I used my tractor and spread about 20 dumptruck loads of half rotten mulch on rocky fields and it worked great
That IS an awesome idea!

ADR

I wanted to give y'all an update about the drilled corn through mature CC. If you look back in this post you will see the corn and now you can see the CC after the hard freeze and snow.
Looks amazing. I am curious though. When you NT planted corn, what prep did you do with the clover? Mow? Spray? Nothing?
I ask because it looks like you got good germination/emergence/establishment of corn.

JCDEERMAN

I wanted to give y'all an update about the drilled corn through mature CC. If you look back in this post you will see the corn and now you can see the CC after the hard freeze and snow.
That looks really good. We have plans to do the same for screening along roads on field edges. The plan is to drill corn 15 yards wide or so paralleling the road and establish perennial clover underneath in these areas. You should be able to plant corn there every year with that abundant supply of nitrogen.

Just ordered my clover from the co-op and will be frost seeding it into these areas some time in February. Will drill corn late spring/early summer into it

BSK

Here's my crimson clover plots that I did not plant! I simply mowed my crimson clover plots from last fall/winter/spring once they had bloomed and died. I then mowed them again in early August and the thickest crimson clover plots I've EVER produced simply sprouted from all the natural seed on the ground (and under thatch from mowing). Once sunlight got to the ground after mowing in early August, the crimson clover seed just germinated on its own even though it had been lying on the ground and under thatch since mid-May. Now maybe I just got lucky. Maybe this occurred due to unique conditions. I have no idea. But I'm going to try it again this year and see if I can recreate the same success. If the crimson clover again germinates well, I will broadcast wheat into these plots in late September (like I did this year).

Attachments

• Crimson1.jpg
    Crimson1.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 14

wildlifefarmer

Looks amazing. I am curious though. When you NT planted corn, what prep did you do with the clover? Mow? Spray? Nothing?
I ask because it looks like you got good germination/emergence/establishment of corn.
The CC heads will turn brown in mid to late May. Drill directly through the clover I'll even leave the existing corn stalks standing. Fertilize now with base fertilizer. Once the corn germinates spray with glyphosate and put down nitrogen. One problem you'll encounter will be with rogue corn that was sill on the stalks if the deer n turkeys don't hurry up an eat it

Latest posts