Food Plots Rocks

DoubleRidge

For loose rocks, sticks and roots I've used a 3pt landscape rake before. But once it becomes full of trash it will become like a blade and you'll be dragging topsoil...so do small areas at a time.
Also...I don't own one but you may be able to rent a harley rake which can be effective at collecting rocks without moving as much top soil.

deerhunter10

If you have that much rock stop working it up and start no tilling it. If there's that many on top there double or triple the amount below it. They make rock rakes and attachments for tractors and skid steers. Could try a harley rake if you can get your hands on one.

BSK

I've almost given up fighting my rock fields. I suspect I will attempt a full no-till no-drill planting sequence next year.

Omega

I've almost given up fighting my rock fields. I suspect I will attempt a full no-till no-drill planting sequence next year.
I was the same way, I had an area between two hills widened by a bulldozer, turned out great, until heavy rains turned it into a rock field.

Originally it looked like this
bc2SwYz.png

Opened up, after a heavy down pour all those rocks started surfacing.
YgDY4OY.jpg

Frustrated, I just broadcast seed corn and it filled in rather nicely.
rqiyfft.jpg

Now, since I use it as a range too, I just lay down grass seed. I use the box blade to level it out some now and then, and remove some of the larger rocks, which keep showing up no matter how many I remove.

8iJndjS.jpg

Last edited:

BSK

That little valley strip food plot looks great Omega! I've got one just like it. 10-15 yards wide and 150 yards long. My only "bottomland" food plot.

BSK

Every planting technique has its positives and negatives. But after dealing with summer and fall droughts the last two years, Popcorn and Mega have convinced me to stick with the no-till method (and for my fields, that also mean no-drill because the ground is too hard and rocky for a drill). The no-till method won't produce as productive of a plot as one that has been tilled and gets adequate rain throughout the growing season, but how often do we get adequate rain through any growing season these days? Very rarely. To have some type of plot growing in fall, I'm going to stick with the throw-and-mow no-till methodology, even though that reduces the plots' productivity in those years when we get a lot of fall rain (the minority).

Spring/summer = beans and Sorghum
Fall = Crimson Clover, wheat, Buckwheat

BSK

What an awesome plot wildlifefarmer! What I wouldn't give for actual soil instead of the chert/rock fields I have on these ridgetops.

wildlifefarmer

What an awesome plot wildlifefarmer! What I wouldn't give for actual soil instead of the chert/rock fields I have on these ridgetops.
That's been 10 years in the making of the soil. No lime added in the past two years just fertilizing. Only time it did not do well was during last summer's (1 yr ago) drought. But it is all about timing. Mother Nature can be cruel. I'm just glad I don't farm for a living!!

hammer33

Have you looked into biochar? Saw a podcast where they were talking about how the Incas ? transformed poor soil into super fertile soil using biochar. I figure they used some form of prescribed fire on the fields regularly to create the carbon.

Biggun4214

When I was a kid we picked up tons of what my Dad called sheep skull rocks from a field every year. It looked like a small rock fence around the field. When I said something about all the rocks we moved he told me that his brothers had been picking up rocks since he was a kid.
I think all we were doing was stimulating the rocks into reproduction mode.

Last edited:

BSK

I think many assume I'm exaggerating when I talk about the rock in my plots. My ridge-top plots are nothing but chert rock. That is why the ridges exist. They are solid chert. The below picture was taken in the middle of one of my newer plots. And unbelievably, that plot has been tilled 6-inches deep twice before that picture was taken. Problem is, the small amount of clay "soil" that exists (holds the chert together as concrete) just settles back down around the chert the first hard rain and you're back with a rock field. After all the work of getting a tractor and sturdy tiller to till these plots, I've finally decided that's not the way to go. I'm going back to broadcast seeding and mowing as a planting technique. I'm more limited on seed choices, and germination/growth not as good as a tilled field, but when things get dry, the "throw-and-mow" plots survive while the tilled plots do not, and we have far too many dry spells in summer/fall.

Attachments

• plots41.jpg
    plots41.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 22

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I think many assume I'm exaggerating when I talk about the rock in my plots. My ridge-top plots are nothing but chert rock. That is why the ridges exist. They are solid chert. The below picture was taken in the middle of one of my newer plots. And unbelievably, that plot has been tilled 6-inches deep twice before that picture was taken. Problem is, the small amount of clay "soil" that exists (holds the chert together as concrete) just settles back down around the chert the first hard rain and you're back with a rock field. After all the work of getting a tractor and sturdy tiller to till these plots, I've finally decided that's not the way to go. I'm going back to broadcast seeding and mowing as a planting technique. I'm more limited on seed choices, and germination/growth not as good as a tilled field, but when things get dry, the "throw-and-mow" plots survive while the tilled plots do not, and we have far too many dry spells in summer/fall.
That picture makes me have a strong urge to plant turnips, radishes, crimson clover and wheat!

On another thought, the biochar comment reminded me, For many years growing up in Putnam county down near the lake we had limestone with very little soil. My grandfather would pile wood slabs and woodland debris all year to eventually burn it down to ash and charcoal for our tobacco plant bed and he always had great plants from those beds.

megalomaniac

Growing up on the farm, you PRAYED it didn't rain during hay season. When i was 14yo, the dry days I ran the haybine in the mornings and the baler in the afternoon.

On days it rained and we couldnt make hay, I walked the fields with a pickaxe picking up rocks and pitching them into the bucket of the front end loader as my papaw drove the tractor behind me. That's probably the main reason why I changed my mind about being a farmer after I grew up. Borderline child abuse.

BSK

That picture makes me have a strong urge to plant turnips, radishes, crimson clover and wheat!

On another thought, the biochar comment reminded me, For many years growing up in Putnam county down near the lake we had limestone with very little soil. My grandfather would pile wood slabs and woodland debris all year to eventually burn it down to ash and charcoal for our tobacco plant bed and he always had great plants from those beds.
Lots and lots of crimson clover and wheat! Sadly, the deer aren't as fond of turnips on my place as other areas. I've used them quite a bit, but their draw to deer is quite short-lived (a brief period after the first hard freeze).

When we first started playing with food plots 25 years ago, we turned a fresh log-loading deck into a plot. The logger had piled up the wood trash in a big pile at one end of the plot and then burned it. To this day, that spot in the plot is still the best soil. Everything grows better in that spot.

buckaroo

Lots and lots of crimson clover and wheat! Sadly, the deer aren't as fond of turnips on my place as other areas. I've used them quite a bit, but their draw to deer is quite short-lived (a brief period after the first hard freeze).

When we first started playing with food plots 25 years ago, we turned a fresh log-loading deck into a plot. The logger had piled up the wood trash in a big pile at one end of the plot and then burned it. To this day, that spot in the plot is still the best soil. Everything grows better in that spot.
In our area when they trim trees I'm always stopping the guys and offering places to dump the mulch and they are glad to, Last year I used my tractor and spread about 20 dumptruck loads of half rotten mulch on rocky fields and it worked great

Latest posts