Road Hunting Thick Land

Gobble4me757

Got permission to about 70 acres to hunt that is thicker than all get out. There is a logging road with draws going through it is really the only thing I can actually hunt. Any tips/tricks on bow and gun hunting it? Really the only good spots will be along the road. Across the paved road along the front of the tract is a big soybeen field in which I feel the deer are bedding in the thick on the hill side of the persons property in which I have permission on. What do y'all suggest?

Ski

First and foremost I'd walk the road & find out where the deer are crossing into the beans. That crossing will lead up to a trail that if you follow, likely snakes up along one of the fingers between draws. The trail won't stay on the finger crest. It will generally be offset to one edge just enough that the deer aren't sky lined as they walk it, but can peek over the opposite side. Wherever that up down finger trail intersects side to side trails is where I like to hunt. It'll usually be just above the "cup" where a draw begins, or on a shelf. I'd bet dollars to donuts that logging road is on a shelf, so that intersection should be an easy one to find. If you walk that logging road & see a cluster of rubs and/or old scrapes, it's likely a spot where a finger trail crosses or T's off on it.

I know it's thick but scouting to find trails & such will really help you figure those deer out. You still have a week before bow season and plenty time before ML or gun. If you scout it out now and blow some deer out, you'll still be fine for hunting season. Deer love thick stuff, especially with ag nearby. Sounds like a promising spot!

Gobble4me757

First and foremost I'd walk the road & find out where the deer are crossing into the beans. That crossing will lead up to a trail that if you follow, likely snakes up along one of the fingers between draws. The trail won't stay on the finger crest. It will generally be offset to one edge just enough that the deer aren't sky lined as they walk it, but can peek over the opposite side. Wherever that up down finger trail intersects side to side trails is where I like to hunt. It'll usually be just above the "cup" where a draw begins, or on a shelf. I'd bet dollars to donuts that logging road is on a shelf, so that intersection should be an easy one to find. If you walk that logging road & see a cluster of rubs and/or old scrapes, it's likely a spot where a finger trail crosses or T's off on it.

I know it's thick but scouting to find trails & such will really help you figure those deer out. You still have a week before bow season and plenty time before ML or gun. If you scout it out now and blow some deer out, you'll still be fine for hunting season. Deer love thick stuff, especially with ag nearby. Sounds like a promising spot!
Thanks man! Yeah actually found a draw with a funnel leading towards the soybeans/blacktop road and hung a stand yesterday. Put a cam on the road and over the acorns in the draw on the trail…no clue what is over there but seems to be a good many deer I hope!

Remington700

I have a spot similar on my land. I found a spot they cross for gun season. I set up a ground blind just on the edge and can see good both ways. I've caught several stepping out on the road. By the time they figure out what the tent is, it is too late.

Gobble4me757

I have a spot similar on my land. I found a spot they cross for gun season. I set up a ground blind just on the edge and can see good both ways. I've caught several stepping out on the road. By the time they figure out what the tent is, it is too late.
I wish I could see far as it's too hilly to see but 60-70 yards max…will likely set a chair up for gun season though

Latest posts