River hunting question.

bcunnin1

I know you can hunt any portion of a river from a boat as long as you aren't 100 yards or feet or whatever from a home. Question is when the river is down to winter pool we can see about 5-10 feet of bank, technically that is still the river so can I get out of my boat set up some shells and full bodys on the dirt and hunt from there also?

bcunnin1

Thats what I figured. I found a spot worth doing that on but the property is posted by the river. I just figured that as long as I am "still on the river" the posted signs can't and don't apply to me. You can't claim to own the Tennessee River.

Grizzly Johnson

FYI....the 100 yards is to the dwelling (house) NOT the property line..... I had a run it with a person a few years ago on this matter, needless to say he wan't happy with being WRONG!!! As long as your below the HIGH water line on the bank, your still on public TVA property and your good to go.

bcunnin1

Thanks guys. Just wanted to confirm what I THOUGHT I knew. Don't want to be on the wrong side of the law with TWRA!

Hope these people don't get to mad about it because they have a TON of geese on their property I plan on visiting Sept. 1.

mjwendorf

We had some people blowing air horns at us last year when ducks would get close. Called TWRA (the officer lives on the road it was happining) and they said they get that call a couple of time a year. He didnt do anything about it. I was PO! If it happens again we are going to video it and press charges.

InfoMan

You need to check for each body of water. You need to know who the property owner is. In some cases it may be TVA or Corp. In many cases (especially rivers and some reservoirs) it is privately owned. Then you need the owner's permission.

nabowhunter

bcunnin1 said:
What about the Tennessee River Infoman? Or the Holston or French Broad River?

I may be wrong but I believe that on the French Broad, Nolichucky, Pigeon, and possibly the Holston the land owner owns all the way to the water's edge.

InfoMan

I would think they own to the center of the river or all the way across if they own both sides. The way to find out for sure is to go to the property deeds office in the county court house.

Typically TVA purchased lands dealing with reservoirs, but they are not all the same. They could tell you what they own.

Duck Tracker

Is it still the rule that if you can float in there whether it be flooded timber or just narrow waterway or big river as long as you stay in your boat you can hunt?

Like if Hatchie gets out and we float into the flooded timber we can hunt.

InfoMan

I don't know anything about the Hatchie. You should contact the Regional Office over that area. There are some different rules about hunting flooded private land.

Latest posts