Ridge Top Wintertime Field

hambone

I have a three acre field on top I want to plant Biologic Maximum or my own mix.I have seen post on here about mixes of der,winter wheat, and oats what is the ratio when planting and do I need to spray after planted w/herbicide and if so with what? Any help would be appreciated. I have 300 acres in Cannon County that I am trying to make improvements on. Most field are in white and red clover and I also have two acres in Biomax

deerchaser007

50 lbs of buck forage oats
5 lb dwarf essex rape
15 lb crimson clover
5 lb arrowleaf clover

PER ACRE

This mix will last you til july. You can bush hog in july and overseed in buckwheat to carry you til sept planting. In which,.. if you disc ,. you can reseed the clovers.
No need to spray that late if you can break the ground.

This is my results on a ridgetop 1 acre plot in cannon county in october..
PICT0471.jpg

And this is what it will look like come early spring..
IMG_1644.jpg

I prefer doing my own mixes all the time. I rarely use big name seed companies any longer. I can get the same or better results using regular seed. Except the BFO,.. its awesome.
300 acres up here is a nice peice of ground. Good luck to you ,.. and if you want to hook up and trade some ideas i live up here ,.. so we get together and share some lies.

deerchaser007

My farm is on 53 going toward gassaway. I just don't make it as far as you. I'm only a couple miles out of Woodbury on Stones river road.

Post us some pics of that cannon county hill country bruiser when you get him.:grin:

Having any trouble with rocks over that way........??

hambone

Maybe this will be the year.We are on an eight pt outside the ears rule. The other farm beside us is also and he owns 1300 acres. The guy i hunt with saw a nice ten pt. last year but couldn't get a shot.I'm going up tomorrow to spray a biomaxx field and spray two small fields to get ready for a winter mix.This planting is a whole new thing for me, and yes we have rocks. Good looking food plots by the way.

deerchaser007

sounds like you got it going on. I also have my neighbors involved. Right around the 1200 acre mark in total between us all. The best buck so far is a 18 inch wide 8 pt that was 4.5 year old. Were getting there.

I'm going to spray my grass in my clover/chicory spot tomorrow also. To dry for the clover,.. but i'm gonna control the grass and overseed in september.

By the way,.. if you use that mix i recommended make sure you get preinoculated clover seed or buy inoculate for the clover. All legumes must be inoculated.

Here's another mix you can try if you like...
10 lbs crimson clover
5 lbs arrowleaf clover
20 lbs autrian winter peas
50 lbs oats or wheat

Its a good mix. BUT,.. i have small plots. Winter peas is such a deer candy they will browse them to early to be good in small plots. In a plot your size it might work great.

hambone

Deerchaser what do you use when it comes to fertilizer and lime over here? I am waiting on soil test results for a couple of fields

deerchaser007

I have to use bagged pelletized lime. Its expensive,.. but in hills thats all we can do. We use the 4x4 Kubota with a 600 lb capacity spreader on back to spread it. In the plot(pic) above the ph was 5.4. Soil test revealed it needed 2.5 ton of lime. I applied 1 ton about 3 weeks ago and i'll apply another ton in spetember. A plot is not a plot if it don't have lime.But,.. the pic above shows how well this mix works even in poorer soils. 5.4 is pretty low,.. and i can't complain on my results. Can't wait to see how it performs when the ph is 6.0 or better.
Fertilizer, i started using 0-45-0 super potash and 0-0-60 super phosphate in 50 lb bags. Its cheaper this way. AND,.. if my planting calls for nitrogen i'll use 34-0-0. I had to use my UT extension office professional here in woodbury to calculate how much i needed. I'm pretty good at math ,.. but thats confusing on how to get the correct figure. Ended up needing 250 lb of potash (0-45-0) and 150 lb of phosphate (0-0-60). I do all my soil test thru the UT extension office up here and they are very helpful throughout the whole process.

By the way,.. i told a little lie about not using big name seed companies except bfo. I use tecomate chicory in my clover plots. This stuff is probably the most preferred deer browse i have ever put in ground since i started plotting 6 years ago. Some chicories only see usage late summer and fall. On my place ,.. the tecomate is browsed from spring til winter. Of course ,.. its hammered in the fall. I highly recommend using this in any clover perrennial plot. Especially those that can become dry.

Hope your spraying went well today. Mine worked out perfectly. Sometimes the wind will run right up that holler. This morning she was as still as a newborn baby rabbit.:grin:

hambone

Deer Chaser is pellitized lime is different from ag-lime in regards to actual weight? I read that if you need 1 ton of ag-lime(truck spreader)that depending on the brand, you might actually only need 400lbs of pellets.Where if you put 1 ton of pellets you have applied 5x to much. Is this true?

deerchaser007

NO,. that is not true. All the research and everyone in the know that i have asked this says the same. Pelletized lime is just lime fused together to make a pellet. So it doesn't matter. You must apply the same amount either using ag lime, pelletized lime, or pulverized lime. BUT,... its still in question if pelletized activates quicker in soil and lasts as long as the other choices. Everyone says something different on that. I personally think it does activate quicker ,.. but lasts just as long. BUT,.. i have no personal experience with ag lime for i can't get a lime truck in my holler..............:grin:

Latest posts