Ribeye steak

TNlandowner

Some how a kitchen steak knife discussion changed into chat about cooking steaks.... Dales seasoning aside:

What's your favorite grilled ribeye steak recipe? My brother is coming up from L.A. this weekend and I plan to surprise him with some fine TN Black Angus steak!

CritterGitter

We often use the Montreal steak seasoning with great results and its easy . Very hot coals , seared to a rare / medium rare . I dont ever shut the lid and encourage the flames to get a hold of the fat . Let it rest before cutting.

Spurhunter

I usually do this on filets but it will work on anything:

Marinate a couple hours in A1 Marinade, cook over charcoal and apple wood. Cook right over fire on both sides until the outside is how you like it then move away from fire (indirect heat) until ready. I use a instant read meat thermometer to cook to order. The purists will say you never marinate a steak and you don't use wood for smoke, but I say variety is the spice of life.

TAFKAP

I don't care for ribeye. But when I do make them, I buy as a whole boneless roast, and well season in salt, pepper, & garlic powder at least 2 days ahead of time. This is where the dry-brine situation really helps again (Funny how that method just works well across many different spectrums). 2% of meat's total weight in salt will be plenty.

Smoke roast, use a temperature gauge to follow the meat. Roll smoke until meat hits 120° internal (128° should be the maximum unless you want it to be brown), then pull it to rest.

While the meat is resting, stoke your fire. After about 20-30 minutes of resting, your coals should be good and hot. Blast the roast for about 2 minutes per side, total 8 minutes of cooking time.

Let it rest again. Slice into slabs and serve.

Since this one doesn't capture the juices and fats, you'll need to supplement with a canned au jus. Campbells Beef Consommé simmered with a couple cloves of garlic and a sprig of rosemary work well.

WTM

reverse sear or the butchers method, seasoned with salt and pepper or sometimes a nice compound butter with thyme and rosemaryto finish.

a good medium rare steak should be medium rare edge to edge, not that sad grey overcooked meat around the edges. not something you are going to achieve with a 5000 degree fire.

Shag

Just like I recommended on the backstrap thread, dry brine for at least 24 hours. Pat dry, hit it with some oil, add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, grill over red oak to medium rare. Put some butter on it and let it rest for 10 mins after pulling off the grill.