review of my sons New Horton Ultra lite TRT

MQ1SHOOTER

Hey everybody,
Well we got our new Horton TRT Ultra lite xbow on line, tried to put together and it would not assemble. The tolerances were off where the stock and bow go together. I sent it back to Horton and my son ended up missing the entire deer season by the time it got back. Horton customer service was not very good, 1 hour wait to get through when you call.

Finally got it back and it shoots very good so far (after about 15 shots). At 30 yards I can shoot one inch groups, so to keep from damaging arrows I shot at a different dot. I shot it through my chrono and is was shooting 336, advertised at 330 I think, so that was good. It was not as loud as I expected, but there is quite a bit of vibration when you shoot. I will have to see about taking that out somehow. I am shooting the scope that came with it, it was very close out of the box.

I was shooting the arrows that came with it. They are all alum Horton arrows that weigh 425 grains with a 100 grain insert. ( I weighed them my self). The gold tip IIs I have weigh 400 with the 100 insert. I think I will stick with the 425 grain arrows to protect the limbs.

One thing I noticed and maybe someone can explain? when I chocolate chip cookie this bow the weight does not see to drop on the way back. I was thinking that my sons old Horton 150 got easier when the the pullys from the bow rolled over. It seemed to have the same resistance all the way back. 175# bow. I am using a cocking aid that cuts it in half

We set up it dead on at 20 yards and had 5.5" of drop at 30 yards.

also,
the pullys on the cocking aid hit the safety switch when it comes back, not sure how to avoid this?

So far (after about 15 shots) I think I am going to be happy with it. I am petty new to crossbows so not really sure what I am doing. I got this for my son, I will never give up my 13 years old Matthews years MQ1 which has laid 3 to rest already this year. Those deer never heard it coming. Everytime I shoot one of these loud crossbows I just want to puke but until my son can shoot a vertical bow this is what I have to deal with.

As far as the feel goes, you will not find one better! It is light and narrow. The vision is a bit narrower but weighs 1.5# more. I think you can get throgh the woods easily with this bow.

after I fire somemore shots through it I will do a final review.

Hope this was helpful to someone!

Hogbear

I looked at those in Bass Pro in Memphis, very light and handy. Outdoor life did a crossbow test of new models and that was their "great buy award" for speed and features you usually find only with more expensive bows.
I wound up buying a Strykezone 380, but I'm kinda nervous about it now that I've read about all the limbs cracking. Mine's good so far. Haven't heard or read anything bad about the Horton Ultra Lites.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/galle ... 1001347921

MQ1SHOOTER

Thanks for the link Hogbear. That was a great article! Explains the vibration I was speaking of as well, lol. And no buyers remorse, based on what I saw in the data I would pick the TRT again. I cannot see hauling around a 10 pound bow as most of the ohters were. Thanks again.

TNhunter

Ok - watched the video on that Outdoor Life review - what the crap is the lady at the end of the video doing with her eye shoved into the end of the scope? Is it a 1x power scope or red dot or something?

whoops.jpg

Latest posts