PSE Fang HD initial review.

PillsburyDoughboy

Ive been shooting a Compound bow the last 8 years. My last Crossbow was a Horton Something or another purchased in 1995. Really slow. I think its shooting arrows at something like 200 FPS. NOT KIDDING.

Was looking at Some New Crossbows. My initial budget was 1k and was planning on replacing the factory glass with something good. Still the plan.

So this is a initial review. Ill post more on it after spending more time with it.

Putting it together was pretty easy. I watched some Youtube videos which was helpful. Its like setting up any Crossbow pretty much.

It does not come with the Crank and Its on order so I used the pull rope. What a pain. Ill be happy when the Crank gets in. It works for sure but its pretty hard to pull .

I got some good advice from theLBLman on here about the speed scope it comes with and how it works. So I set it on 400 FPS and let her rip at 20 yards with the factory supplied arrow. First shot was about 10 inches low on target. Pulled it up about 12 inches then down 2 and was dead on. The horizontal adjustment was right on. So three shots I was on target at 20 yards. Feeling Confident I was on at 20 yards I decided to step back to 30 yards to see if this voodoo in the scope works and sure enough it was dead on at 30 yards. Not being a believer I shot another at 30 yards and darn near did a robin hood. Gonna have to move to different dots with this thing.

Moved back to 40 yards and used the 40 yard dot on the scope and it was dead on. Shot another and it was dead on. My yard only has 40 yards without setting up a climbing stand and I did not have time for that today . Maybe tomorrow at 50 yards.

My initial impressions are that this crossbow is really nice for the money. Fit and finish is really nice. The Trigger breaks clean. It seems pretty quite when you shoot it. The only grips I have is I need to find a way to make the AR-15 style stock a little more quite. Its a little wobbly. I think I will hit the AR-15 forums and find out what the Ar guys are doing to get the rattle out of theirs. Its not much but could use some tightening. And the scope clarity leaves a lot to be desired. I plan on replacing that come next season most likely. I don't see this thing lasting. I do like that it has Green and Red Electronic Settings. Without the Green in daytime with the sun blaring It was really hard to see the really fine black lines. When I turned on the green it was easy to make out.

I know people have some really nice Crossbows and spend a lot of time in the woods with theirs. I just don't see myself spending that sort of money now on something I am going to maybe get to hunt with maybe 2 days out of the season right now. To me this was entry level and entry level pricing and at some point I will probably sell it and upgrade. For now it looks like it will do just fine.

PillsburyDoughboy

So at 50 Yards It looks like it was shooting about 6 inches low with the 50 yard dot. Due to time constraints this weekend I am going to have to play with this some more and probably adjust the speed ring on the scope some to get the sweet spot. I am guessing with I need to turn down the speed ring from 400 FPS to something like 380 for starts and see what happens?

Latest posts