New Issue

Atchman2

I bought some cheap Amazon bolts for the crossbow for practice. I normally use the Barnett bolts since they shoot the best. Here is the problem. The new bolts are heavier.

While I bought a 400 FPS target to handle them, these bolts just bury themselves in the foam! I've had to cut them out and use pliers to pull them. The Barnett bolts are fine and they don't over penetrate.

Is there anyway to add "thickness" to the front of the target to slow them down?

Creek

Is there anyway to add "thickness" to the front of the target to slow them down?
Are you using field tips or broadheads? I know some broadheads can be a real bugger to remove. I have not been in the loop for quite some time, so I'm not sure where exactly you would find the correct material to compensate. The only thing I can think of right now would possibly be to cut off as much as possible and glue in light aluminum inserts to make up the difference. Im curious about the weight of your current field tip, if that's what you are using, and if a lighter field tip would possibly offset the overall weight difference. I guess if a person had a scale near by, or was to visit an archery shop to determine an accurate weight difference and then possibly go from there.

Atchman2

A couple pieces of old carpet across the front will slow them down.
I will give that a try. These bolts are much heavier than the Barnett ones that I hunt with. Makes me think they may be better for hunting, but the accuracy of the Barnett ones are amazing and I hate to change that. I can bullseye every time with them out to 30 yards. I can't shoot further because my yard isn't long enough.

Atchman2

Are you using field tips or broadheads? I know some broadheads can be a real bugger to remove. I have not been in the loop for quite some time, so I'm not sure where exactly you would find the correct material to compensate. The only thing I can think of right now would possibly be to cut off as much as possible and glue in light aluminum inserts to make up the difference. Im curious about the weight of your current field tip, if that's what you are using, and if a lighter field tip would possibly offset the overall weight difference. I guess if a person had a scale near by, or was to visit an archery shop to determine an accurate weight difference and then possibly go from there.
Just using 100 grain field tips. I think the new bolts are like 50 grain heavier than the Barnett bolts I normally use. I think I'm going to try the old pieces of carpet to slow these down.

The first time I shot the crossbow at my old target it went through the target and blew through a wooden fence! Huge power difference going from 300 fps to 400 fps.

Creek

Huge power difference going from 300 fps to 400 fps.
No doubt about that. I have an Excalibur Cub, and its as slow as Christmas. I shoot at a homemade target with field tips and an older Block target for broadheads, and I still have trouble removing the bolt.

I hope the carpet works, and let us know how it turns out.

Latest posts