New to Crossbow question

Bsolomon

Well I bought a older but in great shape Bowtech Strykeforce. My question is I also bought the Nockturnal Predator bolts for it in 22" and was wondering on a good broadhead to get. This will be for Whitetail.

Forvols

Recommend you do some research see what the manufacturer recommends for bolt and head total weight. You could weigh the ones you have now see what they are at. If by manufacturer specs your crossbow shoots a 350gr bolt with 125gr fieldpoint at 350fts..that gives you a starting point to keep same speed same weight for bolt and head. You need the total weigh of both bolt/arrow and head (whether field point or broadhead). My 20in bolts/arrows with 125gr broadheads for my Excalibur M355 weight 405grs. Im getting about 344-348fps out of my factory rated 355fps crossbow.

As far as type of broadhead--- there are a butt load, like fishing lures..I go with slick tricks 125gr. tough big cut

Forvols

Got the 125gr, just standard slick tricks.. pretty much all I use for deer here in east tn.

Good hitters fly true, got a lot of them and never had to chase a deer to far or lost a shot..so me standard slick tricks out of my EXCAL M355 with 20in arrow and brass insert.

Bsolomon

So the standard fixed 4 blade? Also all I find as far as tests on my CB is 475gr 362fps to like 525gr 348 fps. My arrow weight before broadhead is 365gr. So looks like 100gr to 125gr I would be ok with as far as weight. I have some Muzzy MX4 100 gr I bought for my bow and never used. Might test and see how they fly I guess.

Forvols

Yes the standard fixed 4blade slick tricks..Correcting my previous info on weight of what I am shooting. I got my scale out and weighed the arrow, field point and broadhead.

All 12 of my 20in Black Eagle Executioner arrows weigh --- 340grains
Field points --------------------------------------------------- 93 GRAINS
slick tricks fixed 4 blade broadheads -------------------- 93 grains

Gives me a total weight of 433grains vs 405grains (what I had in my previous post).

Given accuracy of my scale I am shooting 100gr field points and broadheads vs 125gr.

Total number didn't seem right when I read my post again so I pulled out the scale.

Forvols

What scope is on the crossbow? I think weight wise you are setting pretty good. Just weigh the arrows and heads when you get it all together, Keep your field point weight arrows and your broadhead close or the same..you wont get much if any difference in accuracy out to 60yrds between the two. I try to keep all my shooting targets or deer 60yrds max..prefer 40yrds..and giving I usually hunt thick wooded areas, most all my actual shots have been in 30 or less yrds. I sight in to a max of 60yrds ..but most often Im 20-30yrds on deer shots. I have a HAWKE XB1 SR 1.5-5X32 scope.

Bsolomon

Forvols":3tues0nu said:
What scope is on the crossbow? I think weight wise you are setting pretty good. Just weigh the arrows and heads when you get it all together, Keep your field point weight arrows and your broadhead close or the same..you wont get much if any difference in accuracy out to 60yrds between the two. I try to keep all my shooting targets or deer 60yrds max..prefer 40yrds..and giving I usually hunt thick wooded areas, most all my actual shots have been in 30 or less yrds. I sight in to a max of 60yrds ..but most often Im 20-30yrds on deer shots. I have a HAWKE XB1 SR 1.5-5X32 scope.

As far as weighing my bolts and tips thanks. I reload so have good digital scales. As far as scope Center Point 3-9x32 scope.

Bsolomon

So needless to say I will need a scope. I wont have my CB till tomorrow and I am guessing that the scope that is on it is not a crossbow scope.

Forvols

I have a Hawke XB1 SR 1.5-5X32. I really like it. I think now its the HAWKE XB1 SR IR (although my also has an illuminated reticle) and speed dial, not sure on the difference of a new one and mine that is approximately 4yrs old. Like rifle scope several low-mid-high end price XBOW scopes from all the major scope makers to be had. I can recommend the Hawke XB1 line.

Forvols

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Forvols

Bsolomon":1liy6r0k said:
Well ordered the scope and rings. So everything just needs to get here. LOL

Another piece of advice, once you get sighted in ...don't shoot the same bullseye with a arrow already in it. I have ruined 3arrows doing that. Now I pull the first shot and see how close the second shot is to the 1st shot hole, a lot cheaper. Crossbows with a good scope are crazy accurate.

Latest posts