Remington 700 AAC SD .308

Rammer Jammer

I traded for this gun a few weeks ago. The 10 times I have shot it.... it has been very accurate. Yesterday evening when I got done deer hunting, I unloaded it and the lead tip on the bullet had been burred up. I'm guessing it did this on the feed ramp when I loaded it. It's a 165 grain Hornady American Whitetail. How do I stop that from happening? Also, does this effect the accuracy?

ratsnakeboogy

I had this same concern when I used softpoints in a 30-06. I mentioned it to my high school physics teacher who was also a hunter. He said that at 2700fps the exposed lead on that small tip more than likely vaporized down to the copper jacket before reaching the target anyway. I've never researched it, but the logic made sense. I boogered one up on purpose one time and it went right into the rest of the 5 shot group from the 100 yard bench.

Rammer Jammer

ratsnakeboogy":119205cv said:
I had this same concern when I used softpoints in a 30-06. I mentioned it to my high school physics teacher who was also a hunter. He said that at 2700fps the exposed lead on that small tip more than likely vaporized down to the copper jacket before reaching the target anyway. I've never researched it, but the logic made sense. I boogered one up on purpose one time and it went right into the rest of the 5 shot group from the 100 yard bench.

Thanks for the help

DaveB

Hmmm. I wonder if Mr. Big polishes or trims any lead-pointed bullets.

The point (meplat) can be damaged with very little change to the Point of Impact at 100 yards or less. Start stretching it out and you will see differences. I am sure that on many calibers the POI might not change at 200 yards. Damage that flattens the point about 1/16 inch is pretty common. There are tools to reshape a point.

Of course, if the point is damaged much beyond 1/16 you are probably going to see a change and it might be enough to be called a flyer.

Bwales95

When i first got my aac, it would score a line down the cartridge case as a round was chambered. I ended up taking it apart and polished the feed ramp. I also sanded/smoothed the top of the magazine box. This fixed my issue and may be what is causing yours. I credited it to poor QC from remington.

In addition to this, the ejector would take a small chunk out of the case. This was also resolved with some precision sanding/polishing on the ejector spring.

Rammer Jammer

Bwales95":39552b60 said:
When i first got my aac, it would score a line down the cartridge case as a round was chambered. I ended up taking it apart and polished the feed ramp. I also sanded/smoothed the top of the magazine box. This fixed my issue and may be what is causing yours. I credited it to poor QC from remington.

In addition to this, the ejector would take a small chunk out of the case. This was also resolved with some precision sanding/polishing on the ejector spring.

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna try the fusions to see if that helps first. If it doesn't, I'll try what you did.

Latest posts