Reduced fall turkey limits

Deerbuster1996

All counties that are open for fall season are under a 1 bird limit
And spring Juvi is now 1 per day instead of 1 per weekend.

catman529

Is this gonna be law or just proposed? Last I saw they were trying to reduce the 6 bird counties to 3 birds, which didn't go thru last year. I'd be OK with a 1 bird fall limit. I like to get my thanksgiving turkey every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setterman

Stupid ass law on the youth season. Every year Twra gets dumber and dumber.

It's a quest to screw up our hunting as bad as they possibly can. Morons....

Tennessee Lead

Setterman":354o9jgu said:
Stupid ***** law on the youth season. Every year Twra gets dumber and dumber.

It's a quest to screw up our hunting as bad as they possibly can. Morons....
That was a dumb move but that's nothing new to them. Probably have no idea to the consequences that this change can have.

Hunt 365

I like it. Juvy is low probability anyway, and dads just shouldn't let them whack jakes unless it's a first bird.
Every year I say I'm going to do some fall hunting, but just like hearing them gobble in the spring. So I like the one bird fall limit too

Hunt 365

Also, I assume their birds till count towards the statewide limit.

I know this is the turkey thread, but I hope the antler definition puts the extra burden on scoping out "does." I think it will cut down on spike and button harvest

Andy S.

Hunt 365":11q53ign said:
I think it will cut down on spike and button harvest
.....and the doe harvest too. Most hunters will not be near as aggressive at targeting does as they were in the past in fear of killing a short tined spike, thus having to punch a buck tag.

Deerbuster1996

Andy S.":2ibyfsru said:
Hunt 365":2ibyfsru said:
.....and the doe harvest too. Most hunters will not be near as aggressive at targeting does as they were in the past in fear of killing a short tined spike/button, thus having to punch a buck tag.
Or killing and not tagging.

dhpro

Just curious .never knew the fall birds were hunted hard?is this a big sport in some areas. No dog in fight just wondering if it's anything to wonder about

megalomaniac

dhpro":1t0lzya1 said:
Just curious .never knew the fall birds were hunted hard?is this a big sport in some areas. No dog in fight just wondering if it's anything to wonder about

The vast majority of hunters do not chase birds in the fall. I know of a select few that were slaughtering them and stacking them like cordwood though. In fact, I heard of one fellow that killed 60 one fall back when there were draw tags good for 6 birds each tag and you could buy the unsold tags. Just one of those people in your county and they did a significant amount of damage to a localized population. Similar to farmers with depredation permits. Absolutely devastating on localized flocks, but not a statewide problem.

catman529

megalomaniac":1grbzrzz said:
dhpro":1grbzrzz said:

The vast majority of hunters do not chase birds in the fall. I know of a select few that were slaughtering them and stacking them like cordwood though. In fact, I heard of one fellow that killed 60 one fall back when there were draw tags good for 6 birds each tag and you could buy the unsold tags. Just one of those people in your county and they did a significant amount of damage to a localized population. Similar to farmers with depredation permits. Absolutely devastating on localized flocks, but not a statewide problem.
if that's how fall season used to work, then Twra has gone in the right direction and people here gotta quit crying over small things like an extra bird on the juvi hunt. It's not perfect yet but we still have birds across most of the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidTennFisher

I like this move. People were killing the crap out of hens in the Fall. The numbers were way too high and that is just the amount of birds actually checked in. God knows how many are killed and not checked in, and that goes for all big game animals. The check in procedure these days is a joke but that's for another thread. As much as I got into Turkey hunting this Spring, I'm really looking forward to getting one in the Fall for Thanksgiving and I'm glad one is the limit now.

Hunt 365

Deerbuster1996":109ia65i said:
Andy S.":109ia65i said:
Hunt 365":109ia65i said:
.....and the doe harvest too. Most hunters will not be near as aggressive at targeting does as they were in the past in fear of killing a short tined spike/button, thus having to punch a buck tag.

By that logic, kill and not tag exists all the time.

Deerbuster1996

Hunt 365":wfk3z1u5 said:
Deerbuster1996":wfk3z1u5 said:
Andy S.":wfk3z1u5 said:
Hunt 365 said:

By that logic, kill and not tag exists all the time.
With the online check in it sure does happen more often. Some Hunters who kill a button now wouldn't want to use a buck tag on them and either leave in the field or just not tag it.

Andy S.

Deerbuster1996":fv96uqe8 said:
Some Hunters who kill a button now wouldn't want to use a buck tag on them and either leave in the field or just not tag it.
A button buck still does not count as a buck or antlered deer, so no reason to take either measure you mentioned above. A true button buck is legally an antlerless deer.

Latest posts