Red River

Gronkmonster

So, my oldest (20) tells me tonight that he's going fishing in a week or so on the Red River. Not sure whereabouts. We live in White House and he said it's about 30 minutes away. 20 and knows it all so that's all I got. Friend from work is taking him and they'll be in kayaks. First thing I said was life vests and helmets….eyeroll on the helmet part.

He went to a catfish farm about 12 years ago and the pole was on the ground in 5 minutes. Anything anyone can share would be appreciated. I have no idea on species or type of fishing. Just want him to be safe and have fun.

Thanks

Pic IN the Casa

Generally, it is a safe river. If he's going to the Portland area it is a little deeper and slower than portions in Adams. People float it all the time in canoes and kayaks.
Yes, he should have a life vest, regardless. The helmet would be optional, IMO. It's not a rolling river. Pretty lazy unless it's up.
It's holds your typical middle TN River species. Lots of good redeye holes and smallmouth holes.

Gronkmonster

Thanks for the replies so far guys! Been over 35 years since I was an avid fisherman. Have fished twice since then, if I remember correctly, and really not in Tennessee. I'll stick to my advice on the floatation device and having fun

MickThompson

Wear the life jacket, ditch the helmet. Watch for rain/river levels leading up to the trip. Keep the boat pointed upstream/downstream especially when crossing shoals. Getting crosscurrent on at root ball will ruin his day in a hurry. Tether the paddle to the boat. It'll be long way down if it gets away from him.

Pic IN the Casa

I have only been on the river in the Adams area. Lots of small mouth.
Slider worm in a pumpkinseed color
And definitely can't go wrong with a rebel crawfish
Weightless sassy shad, Bitzy bug with small frog trailer have done me good in that river, too.

And when in doubt a white roostertail or rebel crawdad.

Latest posts