Red Dot sights for M&P full size

FLTENNHUNTER1

Researching possibly adding one on M&P. Looking at Vortex, Burris, and Leupold. Anyone have one mounted and what are your thoughts. I have a Burris FF2 on my turkey gun and like it. I would like to have one that activates with movement; appears Leupold is the only one?

DaveTN

Is the M&P optics ready?

I have a Vortex Venom on a Performance Center M&P9L Pro Series C.O.R.E. I chose it because this is a target gun, not a carry gun, so I wanted the 3 MOA with a battery that could be changed without removing the sight. It supposedly doesn't co-witness with the tall sights I have. Although it appears to be very close, fixed sights wasn't a concern for me. It won't "shake awake".

It works great, but I haven't shot it a lot, and have not tried to really dial it in yet. So I have no idea how well it will hold up. But its definitely an improvement over open sights for range work.

I wanted the Leupold Delta point Pro, but it wouldn't mount of the M&P without grinding some off the sight case, or using a mount that was stupid expensive. They may have addressed that by now, I don't know.

I also have a FastFire III on a Ruger Mark IV Competition, but I haven't even shot it yet.

I'm not onboard yet for a red dot on a carry gun, so I'm just using them for range work.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Researching possibly adding one on M&P. Looking at Vortex, Burris, and Leupold. Anyone have one mounted and what are your thoughts. I have a Burris FF2 on my turkey gun and like it. I would like to have one that activates with movement; appears Leupold is the only one?
I have an older m&p that is optic ready I bought used probably 6or7 years ago. It looks like someone may have used the wrong screws in it… I always wondered what optic fit it….

DaveTN

I have an older m&p that is optic ready I bought used probably 6or7 years ago. It looks like someone may have used the wrong screws in it… I always wondered what optic fit it….
If it came from S&W as optic ready; you should have 5 adapter plates that will mount a variety of sights. If it was done by someone else and you can't find out from them what it is for, you'd just have to measure the bolt pattern and compare.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Is the M&P optics ready?

I have a Vortex Venom on a Performance Center M&P9L Pro Series C.O.R.E. I chose it because this is a target gun, not a carry gun, so I wanted the 3 MOA with a battery that could be changed without removing the sight. It supposedly doesn't co-witness with the tall sights I have. Although it appears to be very close, fixed sights wasn't a concern for me. It won't "shake awake".

It works great, but I haven't shot it a lot, and have not tried to really dial it in yet. So I have no idea how well it will hold up. But its definitely an improvement over open sights for range work.

I wanted the Leupold Delta point Pro, but it wouldn't mount of the M&P without grinding some off the sight case, or using a mount that was stupid expensive. They may have addressed that by now, I don't know.

I also have a FastFire III on a Ruger Mark IV Competition, but I haven't even shot it yet.

I'm not onboard yet for a red dot on a carry gun, so I'm just using them for range work.
Not optics ready. Will that be an issue?

UCStandSitter

RMR or holosun 100%. Only "downfall" to RMR is having to change out the battery every year or so, which means having to re-zero because the sight has to come off.
I like an RMR for their company beliefs but, the battery swap and the issues with low light put me off them. Holosun has it figured out and their partnership with Primary Arms put them over the top.

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
If it came from S&W as optic ready; you should have 5 adapter plates that will mount a variety of sights. If it was done by someone else and you can't find out from them what it is for, you'd just have to measure the bolt pattern and compare.
1BE44D4A-4E9B-4B6E-8C06-98EEEE1B7FFB.jpeg

skipperbrown

I have a venom (.22 target) and a Burris 3 (I think-top loads) on a 1911. The venom is 1.5 MOA and the Burris is 3. I prefer the venom due to the smaller dot, but they are both nice. You turn them both on manually.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I have a venom (.22 target) and a Burris 3 (I think-top loads) on a 1911. The venom is 1.5 MOA and the Burris is 3. I prefer the venom due to the smaller dot, but they are both nice. You turn them both on manually.
So....can I just remove the existing rear iron sight and install a dovetail optic mount, then mount the optic?

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
Yeah, that looks like a mess. Looks like someone started drilling off location.

Or maybe it's just your crappy picture taking. 🤣
Looks like crap 😁 shoots great though. I think I paid 250 for it. Bought a new grip for it and looks brand new except for the top. Came with two magazines I bought two more. Recently bought a sub 2000 that uses the same magazines, so that worked out great.

Latest posts