Recent Project

PickettSFHunter

Here is what Ive been working on over the past few days between classes and such. Got the homebrew bug and wanted a little something to work on. This is a Sony P32 in a Pelican 1060 case with a Simple Sniper control board, Runs off 2 rechargeable AA's in the cam and the external C batteries keep those charged. I also modified an external power switch to cut power off/on to the board. Im not done with this just yet. I am going to be adding 2 more C batteries for more external power when that gets here. I also have to add foam to the case to push the camera into the flash gasket and I have to add the 3d camo covering. The top two pics are the P32 Im working on. The bottom pic is a homebrew that I already had, but I added the 3d camo and painted it ( masking tape still over lense and HPWA), that is how my P32 will look when Im done. Its been pretty fun, alittle challenging learning curve but once you get the hang of it, its not bad. I could probably remove some of the extra wire as well to make it alittle cleaner, Im just glad its working perfectly though LOL
outsidep32.jpg

insidep32.jpg

camojob.jpg

PickettSFHunter

I had to buy the tools ( Dremel, Solder, 1 inch Hole saw, wire, masking tape, double sided tape, velcro, etc etc.). Things that will last quite a while now that I have them but gave me a good sized initial cost since I didnt already have them. With tools bought, around $300. Without those tools, about $150. And Quite alot of hours lol

ghosthunter

Man that's great. I've been wanting to build one myself just to have a little project to work on. Were do you get that 3-D paint? I guess that's the 3-D paint you're talking about that looks like a tree bark.

FIREMANJIM

Nice job Stone!!! I am proud of you. You got tons of room in that case. On the next one you can tighten things up in the case and get D cells in there. Remember this:1 D cell =2 C cells 1 C cell = 2 AA Cells 1 AA Cell = 2 AAA Cells

pic

Very cool. I have been tinkering with the idea. I gotta ask: is it more for the pride that you did it than to just fork out $150 for a trail cam? That is the question I am struggling with.

PickettSFHunter

FIREMANJIM said:
Nice job Stone!!! I am proud of you. You got tons of room in that case. On the next one you can tighten things up in the case and get D cells in there. Remember this:1 D cell =2 C cells 1 C cell = 2 AA Cells 1 AA Cell = 2 AAA Cells

Dang I didnt realize there was such a difference between C's and D's. I may have to go to radio shack and get some D holders. Battery life is important to me.

PickettSFHunter

pic said:
Very cool. I have been tinkering with the idea. I gotta ask: is it more for the pride that you did it than to just fork out $150 for a trail cam? That is the question I am struggling with.

For me its because they are so much more reliable than any commercial cam in that range or even above that range. I want cameras to work, I dont want to fool with Chinese quality control any more. Trigger times are also really good when you get everything set right and figured out. And the possibilities with homebrews are near endless. You can do a heck of alot of different modifications.

PickettSFHunter

ghosthunter said:
Man that's great. I've been wanting to build one myself just to have a little project to work on. Were do you get that 3-D paint? I guess that's the 3-D paint you're talking about that looks like a tree bark.

sorry I missed your question. The 3D stuff is Loctite PL 375, a construction adhesive you put in a caulk gun. Some people use PL200, Liquid Nails, Bondo, etc. I just let it dry alittle and then formed it how I wanted it with my hands, then spray painted a fine mist of different colors on it.

Latest posts