Ready to make it happen!

csi-tech

I got everything working on my 1960's Howse brush cutter today. Except....The 90 weight oil is coming out of the input shaft seal (dammit!) But I will pour gear oil in as I go. I have 300 acres with about 45 to mow. I am going on Monday and I have expectations of a beautiful, well trimmed and lush field. I think I might get the roads done and that's about it. Wish me luck! Bush hogging looks easier and quiicker than it really is,

csi-tech

And.....I blew it. I was turning around and lifted the brush cutter too high and snapped the drive shaft which in turn, pushed my PTO shaft up smashing the oil seal causing all of my rear end fluid to dump out on the ground. So, I ordered a new oil seal, bearing, sleeve and dust cover for the PTO on my tractor, a new shear pin style drive shaft for the mower and when I buy 3 gallons of 90 weight I'll be out a couple hundred bucks. It's an easy fix but working your own property can be expensive when you are a D%^&@!s. :bash:

csi-tech

Of course, my tractor was made in either Basildon, England or Belgium so the PTO bearing and other parts I ordered were WRONG. I should have known something was wrong when I needed a 16mm socket to get the PTO housing off. I found a correct bearing locally now I have to have it pressed onto the shaft. The new driveshaft for the Howse bush hog came in but I can't get the old yoke off the gearbox. Take the sheer bolt out, pop off the retaining ring and NOPE. Can anything ever go right?! Our farm is turning into a jungle in the meantime.

csi-tech

MickThompson":1i9bvbfu said:
It won't hurt anything for it to be a jungle until the hens get off the nest and the fawns are up and getting around good.

You make a very good point. I have been so concerned about getting on top of it but it's really not like mighty oaks are growing. Anything that could grow this spring will be an easy job for my 3000 and 6' cutter. Once summer rolls around I will focus on locating a couple areas for food plots. I should have everything fixed in a week or two and I have some time off coming that will allow me to camp and get alot of the work done for a change. I am really, really tired of working a job.

csi-tech

I have my PTO assembly back together with new parts, a Class 4 PTO driveshaft for my 39hp. tractor and I will be going Saturday. I still need to remove the old yoke, but Ithink that is just a little file work. I need to get trophy rock and corn out in a couple of weeks. One of my cameras was eaten up with battery acid. No more cheap batteries for me!

csi-tech

A little file work my butt. I had to take an angle grinder to cut off the old yoke then grind the shaft down. I finally got it all back together. I emptied and added all new hydraulic fluid to the tractor and now the lift doesn't work. I guess I have to prime the pump. The bush hog dragged just fine though.

Latest posts