Sometimes it's better to be lucky

Mental and chemical subordination. Simply being constantly "bullied" by more dominant bucks has a physical impact. In addition, it is STRONGLY suggested that dominant bucks keep younger or less dominant bucks subordinated through pheromones left on rubs and at scrapes.
That explains how other deer move in when such a deer is killed. Thank you for sharing!

BSK

Here's the old guy I had mentioned previously. The first picture is him in 2018. We had the remnants of a hurricane ride up KY Lake in late October of 2019, devastating the hardwood forests along the lake, and the deer abandoned the area hence he never showed in 2019. The second picture is him way in the background of a scrape camera in 2020. He had broken off both his beam-ends, one just passed the G3 tine, and the other just past the G4 tine.

Attachments

• buck1817g.jpg
    buck1817g.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Buck2040b.jpg
    Buck2040b.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 81

BSK

What a brute! When was the daylight photo taken and did anyone ever lay eyes on him?
In all the years, no one has ever seen him.

This year's daylight video was taken Nov. 22 at 9:32 AM, very near the spot where the 2020 daylight image was captured (same scrape, different angle).

DoubleRidge

...and the pictures of him this year, at what I believe to be 7 1/2. Unquestionably the highest scoring buck we've ever photographed on the property.

My goodness....what an absolute giant!! Wow!! Beutiful dream buck.... multiple tall tines...long main beams....throw in some sticker points for character....just WOW.

TheLBLman

I doubt we will ever see him again. In that environment, few bucks make it to 6 years old, and he's 7 1/2.
My #1 target buck in 2021 was also believed to be 7 1/2.
He was the main reason I chose not to shoot any other buck(s).
It was all about him, or nothing.

Sadly, I'm near certain the buck I was hunting died during the season. I plan to now spend much time looking for his "dead head", although the odds are high his body was washed away with some area flooding.

BSK, considering your 7 1/2-yr-old buck gained antler mass and score from 6 1/2 to 7 1/2, I believe that highly suggests he's still healthy, and may actually be your #1 target buck in 2022 as an 8 1/2-yr-old, old buck. Maybe he'll become senile, and you can get him :)

BSK

Only other buck I've ever gotten a picture of on our place that I thought might break 160 was this old stud.

Attachments

• buck0912d.jpg
    buck0912d.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 62

ttf909

Not a high-scoring buck by any means (133 gross), but a very, very unique rack shape. Never seen a rack that shape in my area before. The 22" spread made him look very impressive coming through the woods!
I killed a gnarly racked 13 pt years ago and his hooves looked like they had been smashed with a hammer. He was trying to chase a doe but had to keep laying down. Looking back the laying thing may have been more for pain mgt than exhaustion. Wish I had the teeth sent for aging . Possibly ehd effects antler growth in the years after survival? Wonder if it only messes up hooves for that 1st year or is it permanent 🤔?
Regardless congrats on an awesome kill.

BSK

Possibly ehd effects antler growth in the years after survival? Wonder if it only messes up hooves for that 1st year or is it permanent 🤔?
Possible. I only had pictures of him in 2020 and 2021. The EHD outbreak was late summer of 2019. He was limping badly in both 2020 and 2021, so I suspect hoof damage lasts several years, if not permanent. In fact, I've got several bucks on cam the last two years that are limping. I thought it was "battle wounds," but now I'm thinking hoof damage. I've got one VERY odd racked 3 1/2-year-old that is also limping badly. Could his weird antlers be due to his hoof problems? Again, possible.