re-used fry oil

catman529

When using fresh oil from the bottle it always has a particular fresh grease taste when you fry food in it. Reused oil that has fried many things always tastes better in my opinion. I work in the kitchen at a restaurant and the fried stuff is best when cooked in the oil that has turned brown from being reused many times. I have some peanut oil that I plan to cook some wild game and french fries with, but I want to "break-in" the oil first. I guess the first few batches will be more "greasy" tasting. Does anyone else notice the difference and does anyone re-use their oil?

catman529

I would keep using it till it got too dark brown or sat on the shelf too long. Would putting it in the freezer be a good idea or no?

Chaneylake

catman529 said:
When using fresh oil from the bottle it always has a particular fresh grease taste when you fry food in it. Reused oil that has fried many things always tastes better in my opinion. I work in the kitchen at a restaurant and the fried stuff is best when cooked in the oil that has turned brown from being reused many times. I have some peanut oil that I plan to cook some wild game and french fries with, but I want to "break-in" the oil first. I guess the first few batches will be more "greasy" tasting. Does anyone else notice the difference and does anyone re-use their oil?

we use only peanut oil at Chaney, depending upon how much we deep fry something we probably change the oil 2 or 3 times per year maximum, we always do our french fries last, the old timers always told us that it helped to clean the oil, we leave it in the pots[2], on occasion we have strained the oil

catman529

Wow that's a long time to go without changing...I'm not sure exactly how often it's changed at work but usually when it's looking pretty brown. Every night they run it through a strainer into a big stock pot, and then put it back into the frier to use the next day. I haven't paid attention to how often they actually change out the oil. Probably every several days or so. Oh and it's soybean oil at work...I have a little less than a gallon of peanut oil at home and it ain't cheap and I'll definitely get as much use out of it as possible.

Chaneylake

catman529 said:
Wow that's a long time to go without changing...I'm not sure exactly how often it's changed at work but usually when it's looking pretty brown. Every night they run it through a strainer into a big stock pot, and then put it back into the frier to use the next day. I haven't paid attention to how often they actually change out the oil. Probably every several days or so. Oh and it's soybean oil at work...I have a little less than a gallon of peanut oil at home and it ain't cheap and I'll definitely get as much use out of it as possible.

do not worry about the length of time on peanut oil, finally just by looking at it you can tell to give it a toss

FULLDRAWXX75

I reuse/recycle the oil all the time. I got my hands on a commercial strainer that takes replaceable filters, I will filter the oil about every third use. I will also throw about 2-3 cut up potatoes in the oil and fry them after using for fish or chicken, the potatoes will cleanse the oil by obsorbing the fowl fishy taste in the oil.

Pending on how much frying has been done, I can tell by the look of the oil when it is do to be changed, it starts getting very dark. I always store my oil in the refrig. used and unused, it lasts much longer that way.

FDXX75

Latest posts