Re: Elk Season

Locksley

bigfoot318 said:
I went to the RMEF banquet in Cookeville last weekend and the TWRA personnel said there would be a limited hunt with about 10-12 permits in 2009. They are still trying to work out all the details.

Hope this helps.

BigGameGuy said:
We're still working out the details as to when and where but it more than likely there will be five permits issued in 2009.

mike243

5 hunters has been the goal stated by TWRA from day 1,i asked that the hunts be limited to Tn residents until the #'s got larger,they said it was'nt legal to do that,then they said they would look into it,i hope at the least they make it a % like Ky,mike243

megalomaniac

mike243 said:
5 hunters has been the goal stated by TWRA from day 1,i asked that the hunts be limited to Tn residents until the #'s got larger,they said it was'nt legal to do that,then they said they would look into it,i hope at the least they make it a % like Ky,mike243

Sure it can be limited to TN residents only... but it'll cost you thousands of dollars for a tag if they do that. Elk herds can be a cash cow for the TWRA if managed properly. The best thing in the world for TWRA to do is have one tag auctioned off to highest bidder (will probably bring $10,000- 15,000), 1 tag available to NR's in general draw (and charge an application fee, which they would probably collect another $5000-$10,000, in addition to the tag fee), then 3 tags to residents (again charging an application fee, generating another $5-10,000). In theory, they should generate around $25,000 to $30,000 for those 5 elk, plus all the publicity. As years go by and the herd increases, the revenue would increase proportionally.

4onaside

mega, I think that you are way low on your revenue estimate. lol
I remember that two deep pockets guys got into a bidding war for a RMEF Arkansas tag, and the "lucky" hunter paid $45,000 for the privilege.