Raw oysters

JimFromTN

I had a first last night. My wife and I love raw oysters and Harris Teeter has oysters in the shell for 3.99 a dozen so I bought a dozen. These were east coast oysters from around Virginia. I started shucking them and saw these odd little brownish red bumps in some of them. I fished them out and they were baby crabs and they were still alive. We went on the computer and found that its not that uncommon and the oysters are fine. Needless to say, the ones that had the crabs in them were mine. My wife would not touch them. I ate them and the tasted fine and I did not get sick. A friend of mine bought a couple of dozen of them from Harris Teeter as well and he had the same experience.

I guess in resturaunts, they clean those out before they bring the oysters to the table.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Long time ago, down at Cheatham WMA, when Sam was still there, we had a bushell of oysters and a shucking machine. Sam had never had a raw oyster. You could hear him gag for 300 yards.

But three of us, Mickey Pope, Bob Julian and I sat down with a bottle of hot sauce and some crackers and ate almost that bushell. The next day, I made an oyster omlette for lunch and that finished up the bushell.

Y'all have any idea how many bay oysters are in a bushell?

Dam, I'd like to do that night again. I'm not sure but I think maybe another regular poster on this site was there. :)

Were you?

JimFromTN

If the oyster is alive when you get it, its fresh. If its dead, throw it away. Oysters deteriorate pretty quickly when they die so it should be pretty obvious. There are ways to tell if the oyster is fresh or not. It should not be open but if it is, thump it and it does not snap shut, its dead, throw it away. If there is no liquid inside, its dead, throw it away. If it has any smell at all, throw it away. If the liquids has a funky color to it, throw it away. Those are my rules at least.

bowriter

R.I.P.
If they don't snap shut, pitch 'em out. Carwfish. When they come out of the purge or the boil, if the tail is not snapped shut, pitch 'em. If the tail is not curled, don't eat them.

I recent years I have become a tad cautious of oysters due to mercury or lead poisoning. But I make an oyster poboy that will make you weep.

bowriter

R.I.P.
LA man-years ago there was a little joint right off the campus at LS of U. They had a happy hour from 4-7. Beer was ten cents and all the oysters you could eat. They banned me the third day. First day I went in, I asked for two beers and four dozen oysters and told them to get their guy started shuckin. I think I ate 90 that day. Next day I ate over 100. They told me not to come back.

You ever take a piece of French bread about a foot long and hollow out the inside, then fill it with oysters and sauce picante and bajke it golden brown?

jb3

I'm with you TR. Did it once and that's all she wrote. My wife loves'em more than she loves me. lol.

TennesseeRains

bowriter said:
Man don't like oysters can't clear his throat.

I guess...the only times I've seen them consumed where somebody 'liked' them was with crakers and hot sauce was around...AND... when beer was readily available and consumed in mass quatities...

Interesting how alchohol 'helps' things appear better than they are...and not only with food either!

Eating an oyster, from what I've seen, is just like my wiener dog downing a whole biscuit without even tasting it. He believes it tastes good because his buddies do...but isn't really sure.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Raw oyesters best eaten with a good sauce and a cracker. But I have consumed my weight in them straight out of the shell with just the salt water for a sauce. I have sat on the boats and shucked them with a knife and sucked them straight out of the shell, sand, grit and all.

I love oysters and I love them any way they are served except smoked. One of the few things that should not be smoked. And no normal human being should eat 36 dozen. But I could sure try.

If I had me a dozen right now, I'd make me an oyster Po-boy. I couldn't eat it but I'd make it.

Short story:

Sitting in a hunting camp in AL one night, guest of McPherson bows. Guy pulls up in an old truck with two bushels of oysters. Asks if anybody knows how to shuck oysters. Before he can finish his question, me and one of the guides are shuckin and eating.

Maybe you know of Curt Wells, outdoor writer from up Nawth. He almost lost his lunch. But we finally got him eating them. I believe Tess Randle Jolly won the contest. She can shuck with the best of us and slurp as good as anybody.

Hawk

Dern ya'll is making me hungry.
Before we run out of R months everyone should plan to meet at Pappy's Oyster Bar on Whitten or Pearls Osyter Bar on South Main for a West Tn. eat and drink.

TrailWatcher

I like them grilled on the half shell with garlic. But raw I had some at the Acme Oyster House in New Orleans a few years back and they were the bomb!!!

bowriter

R.I.P.
I like then best raw. I make a sauce picante that will kill you. Just a couple drops per oyster, then slurp. Eat enough of them and it will make your sticker peck up.

Okay-go ahead-delete it.

Latest posts