Rattling

Don'tDrinkTinks

most of the places that i hunt around here have so many more does than bucks that a buck will just go find another one instead of coming to a fight. I think it's going to be more effective in areas where the doe to buck ratio is more balanced.

I'm no expert though... just a salesman.

CoolBreeze

I have not used rattling much in the past. But this year I rattle immediately when set in my stand or blind. No bucks have responded yet this year but three separate times I've had does show up within about 10 minutes of rattling. I guess they are searching for bucks too. :bore:

cbhunter

Easy to get discouraged when rattling because it will fail more often that it works. But once you see it work, you will keep coming back for more. I do it 4-5 times a year and may get results once every 4-5 years. I have let bucks walk before and then rattle them back in. I think that's a good time to try it and read their reaction. Now the smaller/younger the buck, the less it will work in my opinion. Watch a descent 2 year old disappear..... give him a few extra minutes to get gone and then see if you can rattle him back in. As of this year, I am a big believer in snort wheeze as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAGA

rattling works best IMO if you see a buck, but he's not in range, which is an all too common situation when you're bow hunting.
I killed a nice 8 point last year doing this. 8 point came in about 70~ yards out and I knew he wouldn't come into bow range. The moment he got out of sight, I pulled out the antlers and rattled for about 10 seconds. Next thing I know he came running back in looking for some action and then double lunged him.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
TX I had more success rattling when I hunted in La. The rut was more spread out there. Seems like by the time M.L. starts here in Benton County most of the fighting is over and they are doing more doe chasing. When I was taught in La. my Uncle told me he never rattled in a Tree stand always on the ground. Deer don't fight in trees. Of course it is mostly flatland. We hunted a lot of cut over timberland it was the best way to get them out the piles of limbs they were laid up in. We took turns because they would come running in fast to watch or fight. Like Turkey hunting we walked a lot. Would set up and rattle a few times then scrape the ground with the horns. No rhythm to it. Sort of like to guys fighting and wrasleing . No action in 20 minites or so and we would move on.

MAGA

Also, rattling is good for doing spot & stalks on rainy days. The rain will help mask the noise you make while walking through the woods, but you can still rattle and it be heard in the woods. Rattle for 20-30 seconds, wait 15-20 minutes. If nothing comes by, start creeping through the woods until you get to another area and rattle again.

hunttherut

MAGA":3f9xqyzf said:
rattling works best IMO if you see a buck, but he's not in range, which is an all too common situation when you're bow hunting.
I killed a nice 8 point last year doing this. 8 point came in about 70~ yards out and I knew he wouldn't come into bow range. The moment he got out of sight, I pulled out the antlers and rattled for about 10 seconds. Next thing I know he came running back in looking for some action and then double lunged him.
I agree with MAGA. I have seen it work best when calling to a particular deer.

Latest posts