Range report...Any input?

cecil30-30

I went back to the range today to shoot my ML a little more and to get some confidence at 150yds with it..At 100 yds,my CVA will group the 350gr FPB in about 1.5inches of each other, that is starting with a clean bore,the first shot with the clean barrel is always just a tad different,by about 1 inch from the following 2 shots..The After fowling the barrel with the first shot,it will group the following 2 shots touching each other,but all 3 shots are within 1.5 inches of each other..

Shot that 3 shot group at 100yds,and then cleaned the barrel,and back the target up to 150,First shot with a clean barrel,was about 14 inches low!!I thought that maybe I jerked it,so I fired another shot,and it was about 5 inches low,fired a third shot and it was again about 5 inches low, and was right there with the 2nd shot..I cleaned the barrel again and repeated,and got the same results..With a clean barrel,it shoots about 12 to 14 inches low at 150yds,but after you fowl the barrel,it only shoots about 5 to 6 inches low..I did this three times,and got the same results all 3 times..It does group them well at 150,but I just never did measure,I figured if I could keep them all on the shoot-n-see target at 150,then that was minuete of deer accuracy enough at that distance..It doesnt shoot to the left or right,just always low.It doesn't do it at 100yds,if it does,its very very litte,not enough to tell..Hard to think just 50 yds would cause it to do that..Im super confident at 100yds with it from the groups it puts out,and at 150yds,i'll just aim about 6 inches over the deers back,if I have to,gonna try to stay away from those longer shots..If it wasn't so close to season i'd try to up the charge to 150grs and see what it does..

After ML season,im gonna switch from pellets to loose powder and try the hornady FPB 300gr bullets..So I can tweek the powder 5grains here and there and shrink the groups even smaller..

Model70Man

This may be just a shot in the dark, but here is my opinion. The first shot with a clean bore probably has less pressure than the 2nd and 3rd shots with a fouled bore. If you had a chrony you would be able to tell by the fps you are getting.

7mm08

So you guys are saying hunt with a dirty bore? I'd be hesitant to leave all that corrosive material inside a barrel for an extended amount of time, but I am a newby to this.

MUP

If I had to foul the barrel for each hunt, cleaning it each evening after the hunt, I would do it then Cecil. Sounds like it's a good shooting gun with a fouled barrel and you would be more likely to hit your target with the fouled barrel even with the first shot. Good luck bud!

cecil30-30

I think Im just gonna limit my shots to 100yds..At 100yds with a clean barrel or a dirty barrel,it shoots awesome..Just hard to believe backing the target up 50yds will cause this..Oh well,if I can't get within 100yds of a deer,somethings wrong..LOL I wouldn't get any sleep at night if I left my ML barrel dirty and not clean it..It makes me cringe just thinking about it! :sick:

fourwheeler431

Mine is it's most accurate with a fouled barrel. I have always fired a primer in it and then loaded it. I have never owned anything but Knights though and they have all been the same way.

Model70Man

fourwheeler431 said:
Mine is it's most accurate with a fouled barrel. I have always fired a primer in it and then loaded it. I have never owned anything but Knights though and they have all been the same way.

I do the same thing. Shoot a primer, then load the barrel with powder and bullet, then go hunting.

I shoot the primer to make sure the flash hole is completely clear after I clean the breech plug.

Boone 58

I have a winchester Apex....from 2004, not the apex from CVA now....however it was made by CVA for Winchester. I have had similar results with the FPB's also. i shot around 45 shots with powder and pellets and i cant see or realzie the benefits from powder over pellets. I am sticking with pellets for the convenience........
Good luck. post your results later.

Latest posts