Range outing Wolf

MUP

Using BH 209 and the modified BP I had zero hang fires. 100% flawless ignition. Good. But now I may have a scope issue? The Konus scope that comes atop these CVA Wolf ML's seems to possibly be sticking, maybe? I fired 3 shots at 100yds to get on zero, then one more and it was about an inch from the last shot, good. Having fun I decided to shoot another, this is when I had a flyer. 3 inches high and the same to the left. My thinking was the scope jumped somehow, so I made the corrections. The next shot came down as corrected, but the L to R didn't track. Made the full adjustment again to the right and put a hole 1-1/2" low of bullseye, dead on L to R. I ran out of loads at that point. I came home, checked the barrel and there were a couple chunks of debris in there, can't say if it was plastic or powder residue, but they popped loose from a couple brush strokes. Cleaned the BP, no obvious issue there. I checked the scope prior to taking it out, but will check it again today. Strange.

mike243

It may have been stripping the sabot if it had something stuck to the barrel, i always gently tap my scopes after making a adjustment, may not be needed but figure a little love tap cant hurt a good scope lol

MUP

I was wondering if it could be sabot material. I was dry patching to make loading easier after each shot and some patches came out quite a bit darker than others, not normal grey as usual with BH 209. Using black sabot from Knightmuzzleloaders.com. I think they're harvesters? And they are tight going in.

GMB54

Knight uses all MMP sabots except the 45cal is available from Harvester. All the 50s, 52s and 54s are made by MMP. Im surprised you even got a Knight black sabot down a Wolf barrel. That is most likely either a MMP HPH-12 or the older proprietary sabot that was huge.

If you are loading a soft cast lead bullet in a tight sabot, that is at least part of your issue. Although the Konus scopes are super lowend scopes made in China. You can get a nice Weaver Classic V series made in Japan at Light Optical Works for $160 or a Redfield made right here in the good old USA for well under $200.

MUP

Although I had checked the ring torque before taking it out, I did not remove the scope from the cradle to check the base screws, which I just got thru checking. With the wheeler fat wrench set to 25 in lbs, I had about 1/4 turn from each of the 4 bolts. Not sure if that much could be the culprit, but just starting at the bottom and working up. I have no shortage of scopes to possibly replace the low end Konus with, should that be the problem. ;) Now, which sabot would you recommend GMB54, as I am indeed pushing soft lead conicals in the black sabot? I don't want them to fall in of course, but have good tension when loading.

GMB54

Can you post a pic of this cast bullet you are shooting?

Usually a Harvester EZ load sabot or The Harvester black crushrib are good in newer CVA bores. MMP HPH-24 sabot will be pretty close to the Harvester EZ load but its longer. This is assuming you are shooting a .452 bullet.

MUP

.452" bullet, lead bullets are from Knight and come with the black sabot in a pack of 20. They're considered practice bullets, but have a hollow point and I've found them to be more than adequate to kill deer. ;)

MUP

Thanks friend, will get some as soon as feasible and give them a try. I know they have been quite a bit harder to load than in my old CVA Kodiak Mag. :) I've always thought they needed to be tight for better rifling engagement.

MUP

GMB54":5dmei83s said:
Yep, use the Harvester "smooth black short sabot"

Its labeled Harvester EZ load Premium sabot for bullets upto 300gr. That is a very commonly used sabot for newer CVAs. Even Cabelas/Bass Pro should stock them and they are slightly cheaper than the Crushrib.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/shootin ... ?slotId=11

The exact part# is H5045SB

Thank you for this info GMB54! I received the sabots this afternoon and raced to my shooting range to start working with them. After a couple shots I got a good point of reference and then a decent group, finally! Looks like the Konus is ok. Much appreciated friend!

MUP

Last 3 shots in the center. @ 100yds, I'll take it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191106_154129498_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20191106_154129498_TOP.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,006

Latest posts