Raided or Hatched?

Outdoorsman87

thumbnail_IMG_4673.jpg

Raided or hatched? I'm thinking the later?
thumbnail_IMG_4675.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4674.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4672.jpg

megalomaniac

Curious what the tell-tale signs are?
Hatched eggs will be open in a circle at the large end (where the air sac is). The edges of the opening will be pushed outwards. When the poult is ready to hatch, it will pierce the air sac, take a few breaths, then 'pip' the shell where the egg sac meets the other 3/4 of the egg the poult developed in, then 'zip' around that junction like a can opener with it's tiny 'egg tooth' on the end of the beak.

Raided eggs by crows will be broken more towards the middle, edges will be pushed inwards instead of outwards. Raided eggs by racoons, coyotes, possums, etc will be nearly destroyed with random bits of shells everywhere

Wrangler95

Hatched eggs will be open in a circle at the large end (where the air sac is). The edges of the opening will be pushed outwards. When the poult is ready to hatch, it will pierce the air sac, take a few breaths, then 'pip' the shell where the egg sac meets the other 3/4 of the egg the poult developed in, then 'zip' around that junction like a can opener with it's tiny 'egg tooth' on the end of the beak.

Raided eggs by crows will be broken more towards the middle, edges will be pushed inwards instead of outwards. Raided eggs by racoons, coyotes, possums, etc will be nearly destroyed with random bits of shells everywhere
I learned something I didnt know,thanks!!

DoubleRidge

Very interesting information....using this detailed information I can say for certain the nest I followed up on last year hatched out....and this year the nest I followed up on was raided.... thanks for sharing!! Good stuff.

Latest posts