Rage Questionable......

FallRutSpringStrut

I killed a doe Saturday with one of the two blade Rage broadhead. The broadhead did a great job and a massive entry and exit hole. With that being said the deer was shot down thru the back. The bh broke 2 ribs destroyed one lung and clipped the opposite lung then exited and hit the front leg. When I recover the bh the blades where completely destoryed. They where bent almost completely double. This concerned me because if I would have hit the deer in the shoulder how would of the blade held up. I guess the only way to find out is to shoot one in the shoulder and find out. All of the fixed blades I have shot in the past would have not had bent blades to that extreme.

richmanbarbeque

I have shot Muzzy and slick trick BH and had blades completely destroyed. The question is did you find the deer? Did it do what it was intended to do? If so take broad side or quartering away shots and don't worry about it.

I just shot a doe a few weeks ago with a slick trick. No pass thru, should I quit using them? No It destryed the inside of the deer and crashed somewhere around 75 yards away. Not as much blood as if I would have had a Rage BH on it but I'm not switching because of it. I use both depending on my mood. have fun and congrats on the deer.

Radar

Bone is hard on any broadhead , and not too many will penetrate the shoulder of a mature deer if hit squarely in the thickest part of the shoulder .
I like Slick tricks because the blades are stronger , but I'm still going to stay away from the shoulder . Shot placement is everything .

W.Seay

Personally, I couldn't care less about the condition of the head after I use it once.I will NEVER reuse a broadhead once I have fired it.The question is did the head do it's job.

LCU

W.Seay said:
Personally, I couldn't care less about the condition of the head after I use it once.I will NEVER reuse a broadhead once I have fired it.The question is did the head do it's job.

Yea. I trash it. Disposable.

FallRutSpringStrut

With out a doubt the rage did its job. The doe went down in less than 80 yards. The bh performance was great but it was trashed afterwards. Also you can replace the blades on the Rage and I will replace them and use the same bh again but you may have a point about the Rage being disposable. To replace the blades you have to remove a roll pin to install new blades. To me this makes these bh a little less attractive because they are probably one of the most expensive bh on the market.

Coach

rldel said:
I never reuse broadheads. There is no reason. If it takes a deer, it has done it's job.

I reuse them if they are reusable...why toss it. Broadheads are expensive...plus, I kind of like pulling out an arrow with a broadhead that I have luck with...sort of like a gun or a bow I've had luck with...kind of grows on me. I reuse the arrow too! If it was too dull to sharpen or ruined in any way, well, of course I wouldn't use it. However, if it takes a deer, you did your job, so why toss a piece of equipment? But, I use Muzzy and they definitely hold up...

Radar

Coach said:
rldel said:
I never reuse broadheads. There is no reason. If it takes a deer, it has done it's job.

I reuse them if they are reusable...why toss it. Broadheads are expensive...plus, I kind of like pulling out an arrow with a broadhead that I have luck with...sort of like a gun or a bow I've had luck with...kind of grows on me. I reuse the arrow too! If it was too dull to sharpen or ruined in any way, well, of course I wouldn't use it. However, if it takes a deer, you did your job, so why toss a piece of equipment? But, I use Muzzy and they definitely hold up...

Ditto , many fixed blade heads , and some expandables have replacement blades available . As long as the ferrule isn't bent and they spin true with new blades , they are fine .

W.Seay

A deer's life just isn't worth the gamble on me being a cheapskate and reusing a broadhead, Each hunter owes them a clean, fast and ethical kill. That is why I won't use a 2nd hand broadhead on a live animal. Would a 2nd hand broadhead still kill? Sure. But why test it? I think we owe the animals we hunt just a little more respect than that.JMO

Coach

I think you are being a bit cautious W but I appreciate and respect your opinion. Being an ethical hunter and more than that a sportsman if there was any doubt I would toss them in the trash. Good luck this season...

LCU

W.Seay said:
A deer's life just isn't worth the gamble on me being a cheapskate and reusing a broadhead, Each hunter owes them a clean, fast and ethical kill. That is why I won't use a 2nd hand broadhead on a live animal. Would a 2nd hand broadhead still kill? Sure. But why test it? I think we owe the animals we hunt just a little more respect than that.JMO

Agree. If it's damaged after killing a deer, trash it.
Sounds like the Rage did a great job on his deer.
Expect it to do more?
I would be satisfied with that Rage broadhead.
I don't shoot them,but it sounds good to me.

Radar

I would never use a damaged head on deer . However , a head that isn't damaged can be use with new blades . Been doing it for 28 years now , and never lost a deer because of a defective broadhead or dull blades .
I can see how using a dull broadhead is unethical , but not a used one with new blades that still spins true . :crazy:

Nimrod777

disposable broadheads? Wow, that's a new one on me. My budget doesn't allow me to buy those, apparently. But I toss ones that are no longer usable. I have broadheads that have killed multiple deer without the benefit of putting on new blades or even sharpening. Deer didn't seem to notice the difference.

richmanbarbeque

You would be surprised how a BH flies after it has gone through a deer and into the ground. I have thrown several away that even with new blades don't fly worth a crap. I have two slick tricks that will not fly that have been through deer. I also have a few that have been used on hogs and deer that work perfectly. After I shoot one I put practice blades on it and spin test it and then shoot it.

I save one fixed BH to use when Broad head tuning that does not fly well. The reason is if I have several that I am using and I know that one is sporadic in flight I hold and follow through better. It is something that I have done for the past few years and it helps me when broad head tuning my gear. It helps me to concentrate and not to develop bad habits.

Radar

I have a bunch of "practice heads" that have went through deer that didn't make it back into my quiver . I sort through my heads ,and only the newest , sharpest , and true flying heads make it into the quiver . Same for my arrows . I will mark those that don't spin true for practice only .
Even if I don't shoot a fixed blade head , I will check the blades ,and touch them up when necessary . They can get dull removing them from the quiver . One reason why I go with fixed blade heads , and that is the ease of changing or touching up blades .
Unethical ?

TRHC

I would never shoot any animal with a dull broadhead of any kind. That said, a used but undamaged head that still spins true will get new blades and promptly go back into my quiver. That's why I went from Muzzys to Slick Tricks. I shot Muzzys for over 10 years and had very good success with them. I did, however, notice that the aluminum ferrules of the Muzzys were prone to bending after a passthru or other hard impact(or a miss!). I tossed a few Muzzys each year because they wouldn't pass a spin test. That's why I really like the all-steel construction of the Slick Tricks. I have now killed several deer with a single head, simply changing the blades after each shot taken. I'm like some of the others who have already posted, I have a lot of confidence in that particular arrow/head. I KNOW the last few times it's been unleashed, it's gone where it's supposed to. That's a confidence builder. TRHC.

Radar

TRHC said:
I would never shoot any animal with a dull broadhead of any kind. That said, a used but undamaged head that still spins true will get new blades and promptly go back into my quiver. That's why I went from Muzzys to Slick Tricks. I shot Muzzys for over 10 years and had very good success with them. I did, however, notice that the aluminum ferrules of the Muzzys were prone to bending after a passthru or other hard impact(or a miss!). I tossed a few Muzzys each year because they wouldn't pass a spin test. That's why I really like the all-steel construction of the Slick Tricks. I have now killed several deer with a single head, simply changing the blades after each shot taken. I'm like some of the others who have already posted, I have a lot of confidence in that particular arrow/head. I KNOW the last few times it's been unleashed, it's gone where it's supposed to. That's a confidence builder. TRHC.

Ditto , that's why I also use Slick Tricks . Another good flying broadhead that is even sharper than the Slick trick is the G5 Striker .

Coach

beerslayer40 said:
I shot a deer with a rage and clipped its upper back....both blades fell out. Then i shot another deer and the rage created a massive wound and held up just fine....i figger harvesting a deer is worth a rage broadhead anyday....gotta pay to play and they definitely open em up.
I was under the impression that compared to most broadheads on the market...G5, Muzzy...that Rage and Slicktricks were cheaper?

Latest posts