rabbit traps

Spike

My lease is coverd up with them now after about three years of killing off cyots. The land owner wants some bunnies for her freezer. I figured during the season I could trap some while hunting deer for her.

Mike Belt

The old folks called them rabbit gumms. I've made a bunch of them and caught a bunch of rabbits. Basically a rectangle wooden box closed on one end with a slot on the front a door can slide up and down in. Two holes up top...one for a forked stick in the middle of the bow and a back one for a notched "trigger" stick. The forked stick supports a straight stick or rod. The front end of it is attatched by a string to the door. The back end is attached by a string to the notched stick. With all this in place you simply push the notched stick down into the hole made for it and it raises the door. When a rabbit enters he hits the trigger (notched stick) and the door falls closed.

You can reach in and grab a cottontail without much damamge. Just make sure you grab him by the hind legs. A swamper may try biting.

Trapper John

I got lazy. I bought one of those metal cage traps and spray painted it camo then let it sit outside for almost a month so that smell would wear off. When I use it I cover the floor, sides, and top with leaves, twigs, or anything else I pick up off the ground.

Rabbits don't seem to notice it's a trap until it's too late. Of course it'll be cheaper to make them.

Darkthirty II

I got into catching them when I was younger, and had beagles. I had a buddy that had a 40 acre running pen, and I would catch them and release them into the pen. I used the wooden style box traps and I found that the best bait was a turnip. I would cut it in half, rub the cut side of one half on the entrance and then quarter up the rest and throw it in the back of the trap. They liked it.

mike243

gramps use to make them out of backer sticks,make a 4 sided peryamid,then 3 sticks whittled into a 4 configeration with a apple or some other veggie as bait,many a rabbit dinner was served around there by that method,put it on a hard surface or bugs will dig out,mike243

trealtree

The wooden traps work great. The ones you buy for 39 bucks work great also. So it depnds on how much time and money you want to invest. lettuce and carrots always works good for me.

Latest posts