Rabbit: Finally Connected

UTGrad

After 4 hunts and lots of briars, I finally connected on a bunny. He was bedded up under a cedar by an old barn. My buddy TNDEER member Knothead bumped him. He stopped broadside about 20 yards away in the woods and gave him some 12 gauge #6. A lot more meat than squirrel. I'm hooked.

Attachments

• 715F0CE2-7CE5-4253-8955-C8B5B4B88B76.jpeg
    715F0CE2-7CE5-4253-8955-C8B5B4B88B76.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 139
  • FFAE3169-FE46-403A-84A9-15551B2ADA73.jpeg
    FFAE3169-FE46-403A-84A9-15551B2ADA73.jpeg
    535 KB · Views: 120

deerfever

Back in college I would take my beagles on the weekends and kill a mess. I would take the meat put it in a crockpot and BBQ it! My roommate and I would eat it all the time. Great stuff!

Last edited:

TheLBLman

I truly wish TWRA would entirely do away with the post-deer-season January juvenile deer hunt and replace it with a great emphasis on taking juveniles small-game hunting instead.

I believe more juveniles are prevented from going small-game hunting by the January juvenile deer hunt than actually participate in the January juvenile deer hunt.

Teaching juveniles how to hunt, to hunt everything, is the best way to turn them into lifetime hunters?

Sadly, over the past few decades, taking juveniles small-game hunting has taken a back seat to deer hunting period. And now, most of the lifetime hunters are dying out, not to be replaced by younger generations?

Big mistake to have bet the farm almost exclusively on "deer hunting" as the savior for the future of hunting?

Buzzard Breath

I truly wish TWRA would entirely do away with the post-deer-season January juvenile deer hunt and replace it with a great emphasis on taking juveniles small-game hunting instead.

I believe more juveniles are prevented from going small-game hunting by the January juvenile deer hunt than actually participate in the January juvenile deer hunt.

Teaching juveniles how to hunt, to hunt everything, is the best way to turn them into lifetime hunters?

Sadly, over the past few decades, taking juveniles small-game hunting has taken a back seat to deer hunting period. And now, most of the lifetime hunters are dying out, not to be replaced by younger generations?

Big mistake to have bet the farm almost exclusively on "deer hunting" as the savior for the future of hunting?
I do know that TWRA has a few youth squirrel hunts in January.

Screenshot_20220210-055725.png

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
And MUCH easier to "dress" for the skillet as well!
Smell MUCH MUCH worse though! I would rather clean 6 squirrels than 1 or 2 rabbits. And once I learned to split the skin under the tail and the back legs and step on the tail to clean them its pretty easy also.

Latest posts