Question

cbhunter

Is it safe to lay a boat motor down where the prop and back of the motor are touching the ground? It's not laying on either side. Can it be stored this way if there is currently no other option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNCharlie

Do you have the owner's manual for the motor? It probably would tell storage instructions.

My guess would be that if you drain the oil that it would be fine.

Now we will wait for someone to answer who actually knows what they are talking about. :)

Smo

It would be kinda like laying a V 8 on its side , the oil would run up into the heads .... I think.

I've alway hung them on a saw horse or a board nailed to a post using the mounting screws.

catman529

I believe 4 stroke outboards have to be laid down with the prop facing upwards and mounting bolts facing down. 2 stroke I just lay on its side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hillbillyfab

I've got a 12' Jon boat that a lot of times I load on the back of my flatbed, versus hooking up the trailer. If I'm going to a body of water where I can use an outboard, I lay my little Mercury 7.5 on it's side in the bottom of the boat. I've done this numerous times. So far so good, but if I'm hurting it let me know.

Latest posts