Question for the pellet guys.

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
I recently bought a pellet grill/smoker. I got some Hickory pellets with it and the flavor is ok. It just doesn't really smell or add the Hickory flavor I'm used to from a stick burner. The brand I got is Weber SmokeFire. Is there a big difference between brands of pellets?

The Original Spike

I have a Pit Boss. I use apple wood my choice. but I use a smoke tube with mine to get more smoke. you can get them at lowes and can use more then one depending on the amount of smoke you want. one seems to work for me. I like my pellet grill but yea not quite enough smoke for me either without the tube. Get one they are cheep and I believe it will solve your problem. Also get a good Meet thermometer thet links up bluetooth with your phone and DO NOT open the lid unless just have to. This will give you more time to enjoy some cold beers.

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
I've got the smoke tube and thermometer. I get good smoke, just not that hickory flavor I'm used to. I'm just wondering if a different brand of pellets will give me a better flavor.

TN Song Dog

Try lumberjack pellets. Use a mix of char-hickory pellets with hickory. What you associate as hickory smoke from your stick burner may partly be charcoal smoke flavor, unless you were burning 100% hickory logs.

I get mine at Rural King in Martin, when in West TN. They are $9 for 20lb. Lots of wood choices. All 100% of the advertised source wood.

mike243

The Traeger is oil soaked wood and has a lot of folks mad, that said Lumber Jack has the best price and has 100% hickory and other without filler wood, the blends are really good also, I been liking the apple here lately, pitboss has a fruitwood blend I been meaning to try , this may be the weekend to pu a bag.

Latest posts