Question for the experienced......

S. Connell

I have been finding arrow heads on a dirt road that runs thru a 200 acre field of mine for years now. The road is on the highest point of the field and it over looks a bottom with a creek on it. I don't find but maybe 2 or 3 a year on this road mainly because there isn't anything planted on the road which allows small amounts of erosion and dead areas of grass where there is nothing but dirt. The remainder of the field is no-tilled.
My questions:
1) What ways are there to find and recover more arrow heads and whatever else there is?
2) Where do you think the majority of the arrow heads are?
3) Do you think the area could be a camping ground or just hunting grounds or is there a difference?
If you have any questions that could help you answer, please ask.
Thanks!

Cuttin Caller

Staff member
I do not think it would be a camping ground or even just hunting grounds. Earth is a filter so the arrowheads you find now may have been filtered through.
There are certain names or kinds of arrowheads and the folks that visit this forum will have to help you on that.

BTW I really have no experience in any of this but I do enjoy learning and reading about artifacts.

canyonman

The first thing I would do is.

Do some research on the county that you are finding the arrowheads,if your county had a large population of indians it would have been writen about.

The only way to find more arrowheads is to disk up the ground and wait for it to rain.

The village sites are usually on the highest ground due to flooding.

In village sites or camp grounds you will find alot of flint flakes,mussle shells and sometimes pottery pieces.Most village sites are near water.

Walk along the creek that runs thru the property and you could hit the jack pot. good luck

Camp

High ground near the water is best. Low ground next to the water is usually not as productive. Disc ALL the high ground near the creek and check right after rains. Disc the dirt road too!

Arrow heads are simply easier to see soon after a rain. They were likely laying there before but had a coat of dirt on them that serves as camo. Rain washes the dirt off and makes them easier to spot. Every time you turn the soil you increase the odds of bringing more up to the top.

scope eye

Back when those arrows were shot, that was not a field.
Picture all of that land covered in forest. Look at the terrain and try to figure where you would hang a stand. Hunting patterns ain't changed that much and most of the arrows were probably shot from there.

A.K.A.

scope eye said:
Back when those arrows were shot, that was not a field.
Picture all of that land covered in forest. Look at the terrain and try to figure where you would hang a stand. Hunting patterns ain't changed that much and most of the arrows were probably shot from there.
I don't know anything but indians or hunting either, but did Indians (Native Americans) have tree stands? ;)

scope eye

No tree stands, but did stand in trees sometimes to hunt.
Also used differences in ground elevation to help hide their scent.

GOHUNT

I've often seen the high spot of the field be the most productive. Not sure if it is because they camped there to avoid flooding (and maybe to see better) or if it is just that the high ground erodes more and sends the fine dirt that has been eroded away down to the low spots where it proceeds to cover the artifacts in the low spots deeper.

Camp

Typically when you find many arrowheads it's because of a campsite or village. Most were put on the higher ground to avoid flooding while still being close to the water source. Everybody needs water. Also water provides a better defensive position.

Latest posts