Question for the Carroll County hunters

BLC

Questions for the Carroll county hunters:
I shot a young deer today and I understand Carroll county is not under the CWD umbrella at this time…

When I checked it in online, there was a question about CWD testing; I selected "No".

Would you guys have it tested?
Would you guys eat the meat with no concerns?
I field dressed it, washed out with the water hose and will let him hang overnight (hide on).

All comments and considerations welcomed.

cbhunter

My wife's nephew killed one 2 weeks ago. Backstrap was on the grill within 12 hrs. Didn't really think twice about it. Afterwards it's been in the back of my mind. Personal preference IMO.

cbhunter

Questions for the Carroll county hunters:
I shot a young deer today and I understand Carroll county is not under the CWD umbrella at this time…

When I checked it in online, there was a question about CWD testing; I selected "No".

Would you guys have it tested?
Would you guys eat the meat with no concerns?
I field dressed it, washed out with the water hose and will let him hang overnight (hide on).

All comments and considerations welcomed.
If you plan to carry it back out if the county, be sure it is deboned unless going into unit cwd

Ladys man

If you plan to carry it back out if the county, be sure it is deboned unless going into unit cwd
Talked to TWRA officer last week, I'll be hunting Carroll cty next week coming from Knox cty. He told us we didn't have to since it was CWD positive. Kind of goes against everything I've been hearing for last couple hrs. Honestly not sure what to do now. I'm only killing a good one that will just get dropped off at the taxi there, my dad and brother going with me want to bring back meat so not sure their game plan.

TNReb

Talked to TWRA officer last week, I'll be hunting Carroll cty next week coming from Knox cty. He told us we didn't have to since it was CWD positive. Kind of goes against everything I've been hearing for last couple hrs. Honestly not sure what to do now. I'm only killing a good one that will just get dropped off at the taxi there, my dad and brother going with me want to bring back meat so not sure their game plan.
If you need a place to hang it and cut it up, shoot me a message. I'll be around the Carroll Co area thur-sun next week. I doubt my mother wants it butchered in her kitchen but we can hang it in the shed and get it taken care of if you need a place to do it.

cbhunter

Wow, so he said don't worry about deboning? Not sure id trust that. However, I hope you have a big taxi bill by the time you leave! Good luck

BLC

I've just read TWRA CWD info…
TWRA asks that we abide by carcass transport guidance for CWD counties and high risk counties. Carroll county is high risk.

I am a Carroll county landowner, but don't live there. Any portion of deer I take out of the county will be deboned as required, no skull, etc. Seems like it would be a good idea to have one tested prior to consumption…

DCA-DEER

I believe Carroll lake is a sampling drop off I'm not real worried but the wife wants to have them tested. That's the original Carroll lake not lake halford

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I have had all mine in Madison tested(so far all not detected). No reason not to since it is free to do, just takes a little time to get the results back. I don't want to wind up being a test case for CWD in humans if it does make the jump like mad cow and scrapie. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Ladys man

If you need a place to hang it and cut it up, shoot me a message. I'll be around the Carroll Co area thur-sun next week. I doubt my mother wants it butchered in her kitchen but we can hang it in the shed and get it taken care of if you need a place to do it.
Thanks a lot man, I'll probably pm you this weekend.

Latest posts