Question for someone who knows Remington 1100s

shopson

I own a approximate 1970 make Remington 1100 and it finally is not ejecting shells 100% of the time like it should. I purchased new factory replacement piston and piston seal assembly and an O ring from MidwayUSA. The parts schematic at Remington.com shows the parts to be exactly what I have on my gun but the parts I recieved are different but are labeled for Rem 1100 12 gauge. My question is have they changed and if so, do you know how they go on the magazine?

Chaneylake

one ring should have a flat side to it, the flat side should be put on first, the other ring sorta fits into the first ring, it goes on last, am I making any sense,

is your magazine tube real clean with minimum oil on it?

shopson

Yes, I know the original configuration. Here is a pick of original and new.
004-1.jpg

shopson

The best fit I get on the new one is to turn portion on right side backward from pic and it seats into left portion. Only thing with that is that you have a flat side going against o ring rather than the thin side that the original part has.
006.jpg

shopson

chaneylake said:
I alway clean the outside of my magazine tube with 0000 steel wool and crc336 type oil, then wipe with paper towel, your old rings look ok, you can also clean them real good with the steel wool also

regardless of how it looks the magazine is in good shape. I will clean the old rings with steel wool.

My main concern since I have bought the new parts is how they should fit on the magazine since they are not the same as the old ones.

shopson

best I can do then is steel wool the old ones and try the new ones the way it looks like they wil work. If it doesn't, Ill still have my old ones to fall back on.

If Remington changed them several years ago they definately need to update their pics.

Thanks

wiles

Had the same problem with my ll87, the rings snap together as a one piece unit, the pic of the rings together is wrong from the way I have mine snapped together. just flip the top piece and that is how I have mine. My 1187 works flawlessly with the new rings the way I have them. The new piston and ring when snapped together, resemble the old when they are nestled together.

Chaneylake

venisonpoboy said:
Had the same problem with my ll87, the rings snap together as a one piece unit, the pic of the rings together is wrong from the way I have mine snapped together. just flip the top piece and that is how I have mine. My 1187 works flawlessly with the new rings the way I have them. The new piston and ring when snapped together, resemble the old when they are nestled together.

correct, sometimes my new set will arrive snapped together and sometimes not, I do not like to install with the slots lined up together, gun will handle light loads better this way, learned that from experience

shopson

chaneylake said:
correct, sometimes my new set will arrive snapped together and sometimes not, I do not like to install with the slots lined up together, gun will handle light loads better this way, learned that from experience
This is my first set in 30+ years. How often do you buy a set?

shopson

venisonpoboy said:

Mine don't snap together unless I am doing something totally wrong. They are steel and steel doesn't usually snap together.

In the pics I do not have a top piece but a left and right. Should I stant my gun on the butt plate and flip what would then be the top piece? Assuming this is correct and what you mean, is the bottom ring very loose and floppy by itself? It will be on mine if I do this.
If I flip the top piece, the total assembley is a good quarter inch longer than the original assembly I have now, plus the two pieces will not interlock and there is no kind of seal between the two.

shopson

Ok Ok I was doing somthing totally wrong. After "snapping" was brought up I got the the parts, flipped the one over, and forced the one on to the other and now it looks almost like the original and I now feel confident it will work.
I was trying to put two seperate units on to the magazine as was originally designed and now you connect the two and slide on to the magazine as one unit. Correct?

wiles

Yep, that's it! I had my old piston and ring for about 12 years, but I shoot alot. I had a chip break off my old piston, it still worked, but had alot more residue than ever before. New one seems to have fixed that.