Question for Colorado Hunters.....

BigCountry71

This i my first year hunting in Colorado. Me and some friends have leased 5000 acres for a 6 day self guided hunt for Mule deer in unit 70. We will be hunting the opening of archery season.

The mule deer tag is on a draw. My quetion is for my first time to apply for this what is my chances?

Another question?

I was told that if i didnt get drawn for a mule deer tag. I could by my Elk tag over the counter? I thought this was a draw also.

Ive looked at the Colorado hunting web page and couldnt find anything?

4onaside

Based on 2007 your chances are 100%.
Code DE-070-O1-A took 0 pts to get drawn for this past season.
Elk tags in Unit 70 for Archery are OTC. While some units are draw for archery, all units in Colorado are draw only for the first rifle season, which is elk only(no deer).
That may have been what you were thinking about.

4onaside

You're welcome. I have a paper copy of the 2008 brochure because I had a license last year and they automatically send non-residents one whose name is in the system(license holder). However, you can pull up the same thing for your information and entertainment on the DOW website. Just go to big game, and then brochure. I got the points required info off the site also, go to big game and then statistics, then 2007, deer. And, I assume that you can send in your application on line from the site. I already have.

megalomaniac

Hmmm...

that unit doesn't look too high in elevation... as a general rule where I hunt, the biggest muleys are well above the timberline at the opener of bow season; far, far away from private land. But you may be OK at the end of August if there's no high ground around (above 11,000 ft).

Killing a mulie spot and stalk with a bow has got to be one of the biggest challenges out there.

Montrose isn't too far away and will be a good place for a mid-week break back to civilization.

BigCountry71

megalomaniac said:
Hmmm...

that unit doesn't look too high in elevation... as a general rule where I hunt, the biggest muleys are well above the timberline at the opener of bow season; far, far away from private land. But you may be OK at the end of August if there's no high ground around (above 11,000 ft).

Killing a mulie spot and stalk with a bow has got to be one of the biggest challenges out there.

Montrose isn't too far away and will be a good place for a mid-week break back to civilization.

One of the guys im hunting with has hunted this tract of land in the past. Its private owned and not been hunted for mulie in a good while. The main reason is to grow them big. We can also hunt bear and elk while we are the.

Our goal is to get there two days prior to season and glass and see what areas they are working the most.

I think the elevation is around 5000 ft

Hawk

Is this area off of state hwy 114? I have hunted in ares 66 & 67 and one day after leaving Gunnison I decided to return to Powder Horn by the back roads. Went down 114 and turned on a county road that lead by some type of Agency work station. There were several ranches for lease in the area. This area looked good for deer but too low for elk.

Quiver

Some good deer in 70. Here are 2 examples from 2006.

sxm5jp.jpg

PO Cedar

I was up in that area this past season. There is quite a bit of private land up by Norwood. I made the loop on the gravel road going over to the Utah line and traveled up Hwy. 141 back to Hwy.145 at Telluride. It is a large unit and depending on which part of the unit you're hunting, there have been some exceptional elk brought out. Quality mule deer are abundant in lots of the units in CO since the draw only regulations were implemented in 1999.Good Luck!

PO Cedar

Big Country 71, you probably already know this but Colorado requires a certified Hunter Safety Course to hunt there. Make sure you have it and if you get a chance stop in at one of the DOW offices and let them enter it into their computer under your name. Then when the game warden checks you you won't have to have that extra piece of paper to show him. Also, the Habitat stamp for the species hunted must be purchased for the license/tag to be valid. Five dollars per species with a ten dollar maximum cost no matter how many tags you purchase. Good Luck!! BTW, if archery only hunting in CO, a IBEP bowhunting certificate is all that is necessary to satisfy the Hunter safety course requirement.

BigCountry71

ChippewaPartners..

The cost was 5000.00 for 5 people for a weeks hunt. But we elected to pay a little more and keep it to 4 hunters. That is for a mule deer only. If we want to harvest a elk or bear. It will be the cost of the tag. Plus $750.00 trophy fee.

The guy where we are going to be hunting. Does Elk hunts. They havnt hunted mullie in a few years. He is wanting to start back up. He contacted my friend who has hunted there before. And asked if he was interested in hunting the mullie this year. We talked about it. A didnt think it was that bad of a price. So we jumped on it.

BigCountry71

I know guys that have hunted here before. That is the only reason why i paid.

There will be some good muleys there. The only draw back is all 5000 acres can be hunted. Due to the lay of the ground etc.

Im going out 2 days early before the season starts. To glass and see what their pattern is. They should be still in velvet. Im pumped. Even if i dont shoot one.

I was gonna be at the Vous. But my son has a baseball tournament. They changed things

Latest posts