QDMA Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Herds

gil1

QDMA to Convene First-Ever Whitetail Summit to Address Declining Deer Herds and Other Threats

Declining deer herds and other threats to North America�s deer-hunting heritage will be the focus of the first-ever North American Whitetail Summit being convened by QDMA, March 3-6, at Big Cedar Lodge in Branson, Missouri.

�Whitetail numbers are down throughout much of their range due to many factors including EHD, predators, and even over-harvest,� said QDMA CEO and wildlife biologist Brian Murphy. �In some areas, herds are below what the habitat can support and what provides a quality hunting experience. This is a serious issue with significant long-term implications for the future of deer hunting.�

In response to this and other alarming trends, QDMA is convening a first-of-its-kind Whitetail Summit and inviting leaders and stakeholders from the entire whitetail community, including deer hunters, state and federal agencies, conservation organizations, the hunting industry, media, universities, and landowners. The goal of the summit is to identify key challenges to the future of deer hunting and to begin addressing them one-by-one through industry-wide cooperation, within the context of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation.

Numerous representatives of stakeholder groups have already committed to attend, and featured speakers will include internationally acclaimed conservationist Shane Mahoney; Dan Ashe, Director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service; and Dan Forster, President of the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies. Congressman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, a deer hunter and former Vice Presidential candidate, will address Whitetail Summit attendees through a video message. The Whitetail Summit is co-sponsored by QDMA, Bass Pro Shops and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, with additional support from the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the Missouri Department of Conservation and numerous other companies, agencies and organizations.

�Whitetail hunters have had it extremely good for a long time, but there are many challenges ahead that will require cooperation and hard work,� said Murphy. �The Whitetail Summit is the first step in this process.�

Whitetail Summit attendance is limited. For more information on attending, please visit: http://www.qdma.com/corporate/qdmas-whitetail-summit

About QDMA
QDMA is dedicated to ensuring the future of white-tailed deer, wildlife habitat and our hunting heritage. Founded in 1988, QDMA is a national nonprofit wildlife conservation organization with more than 50,000 members in all 50 states and Canada. To learn more about QDMA and why it is the future of deer hunting, call 800-209-3337 or visit www.QDMA.com. QDMA can also be found on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheQDMA and Twitter at www.twitter.com/TheQDMA.

Media members wishing to join QDMA�s Media Network can contact Tanner Tedeschi at [email protected]. If you are already subscribed to the Media Network but wish to be unsubscribed from the list, please inform Tanner and you will be removed.

BSK

I'm a tad dubious about this "symposium." But I'll wait until I hear the consensus before I comment further.

CAW

"Whitetail numbers are down throughout much of their range..."

I'd like to see the data on that.

QDMA better be careful with statements and events like this. On the surface, it looks like a fundraiser. If whitetail numbers are in fact on the decline in the Midwest, then that's what they should say. To say whitetail numbers are down "throughout much of their range" is one heck of a statement that they better back up with some data.

BSK

CAW said:

QDMA better be careful with statements and events like this. On the surface, it looks like a fundraiser.

And THAT is why I'm dubious. Can anyone say "The sky is falling!"? Now I'm not discounting anything. But I want to see the data.

CAW

BSK said:
CAW said:

QDMA better be careful with statements and events like this. On the surface, it looks like a fundraiser.

And THAT is why I'm dubious. Can anyone say "The sky is falling!"? Now I'm not discounting anything. But I want to see the data.

Agreed.

TheRealSpurhunter

I call this meeting highly suspect. record deer are being killed, records numbers of deer are being seen all over the US, and some places are hiring snipers to help control the herds. A blanket statement that deer herds are declining is.....misleading at best.

Quailman

I'm only speculating here, but I would think that this meeting may primarily be in regards to some noticeable decreases in deer numbers throughout the midwest. Of course, we have to mainly look at harvest numbers, and they have declined in many midwestern states. Illinois for example, is down about 30,000+ deer for the 2013-2014 season, Missouri is down around 60,000+ deer this past season as well. Similar reports are coming out of Iowa as well as other midwestern states. Nebraska for example, has seen a dramatic decline in deer numbers due to EHD. I remember seeing one report discussing EHD in Nebraska during 2012, and they had reported an overall loss of approximately 30% statewide. Some counties were fairly low with EHD reports, and some counties were above 45% in EHD loss.

Of course I've hunted Illinois for the last 14 years, and I have seen this decline first hand on the properties we hunt. We were hit extremely hard by EHD in 2007, followed by historic flooding during June of 2008 (during fawn drop), and the effects from these 2 events were disastrous. I knew the population would eventually rebound, but what bothers me the most is how long it has taken to rebound. Another issue that has come into play in the midwest is that several wildlife agencies in their respective states started issuing unlimited antlerless tags as well as adding late season antlerless gun hunts during this same time frame. I think this combination of factors (at least in my area) has led to and helped maintain these lower deer numbers.

If you couple that with the fact that Politics always comes into play in many of these midwestern states in regards to deer regulations, there could actually be some legitimate issues that need to be addressed. It will be interesting to watch how thie unfolds.

CAW

Quailman said:
I'm only speculating here, but I would think that this meeting may primarily be in regards to some noticeable decreases in deer numbers throughout the midwest. Of course, we have to mainly look at harvest numbers, and they have declined in many midwestern states. Illinois for example, is down about 30,000+ deer for the 2013-2014 season, Missouri is down around 60,000+ deer this past season as well. Similar reports are coming out of Iowa as well as other midwestern states. Nebraska for example, has seen a dramatic decline in deer numbers due to EHD. I remember seeing one report discussing EHD in Nebraska during 2012, and they had reported an overall loss of approximately 30% statewide. Some counties were fairly low with EHD reports, and some counties were above 45% in EHD loss.

Of course I've hunted Illinois for the last 14 years, and I have seen this decline first hand on the properties we hunt. We were hit extremely hard by EHD in 2007, followed by historic flooding during June of 2008 (during fawn drop), and the effects from these 2 events were disastrous. I knew the population would eventually rebound, but what bothers me the most is how long it has taken to rebound. Another issue that has come into play in the midwest is that several wildlife agencies in their respective states started issuing unlimited antlerless tags as well as adding late season antlerless gun hunts during this same time frame. I think this combination of factors (at least in my area) has led to and helped maintain these lower deer numbers.

If you couple that with the fact that Politics always comes into play in many of these midwestern states in regards to deer regulations, there could actually be some legitimate issues that need to be addressed. It will be interesting to watch how thie unfolds.

I don't disagree with any of that.

What I don't like is the blanket statement that QDMA is making with this issue. They should be more specific with their objective(s). Otherwise, it comes off as fear mongering.

I have been a QDMA member for years, giving financial support and attending many conventions. Now, I could be wrong with my assessment, but in the last couple of years they seem to have shifted from an organization focused on whitetail deer and educating hunters, to an organization focused on driving membership and increasing revenues, and that is a shame.

BSK

Quailman said:
We were hit extremely hard by EHD in 2007, followed by historic flooding during June of 2008 (during fawn drop), and the effects from these 2 events were disastrous. I knew the population would eventually rebound, but what bothers me the most is how long it has taken to rebound.

That I completely agree with. The "normal" rebound from the '07 EHD outbreak simply did not occur as expected. In fact, populations in TN may never completely rebound, and that's actually OK. Remember back in the years right after '07 and how everyone was noticing the increase in buck quality due to the lower deer density? That's not only a good thing, but good evidence the deer density NEEDED to be lower. Throw in that the Midwest experienced another big EHD die-off in '12, and I'm sure hunters are seeing less deer (and there are less deer). But personally, I don't think this is a sign the sky is falling or something requiring a National Symposium that will just fuel fears.

BSK said:
CAW said:

This year, I only killed 8 deer.
My son (guided by me) only killed 10.

Our kill numbers were at least 20 percent lower than the past 5 year averages.

This means only ONE thing...

(or maybe two)

populations are quickly dwindling

and the sky is falling!

BSK

Don't get me wrong. I really parts of the Midwest really took a population hit from EHD in 2012. But this seems a bit early to be worrying about the populations not bouncing back on their own. Usually that takes only a couple of years.

Doskil

Pennsylvania,South Carolina, Georgia and parts of Virginia have also seen significant declines in their deer herds.

Its not just the Midwest

What QDMA is NOT telling you is many of these 'declines' are on purpose.

Virtually all states let their deer herds get way too large and liberal doe seasons are necessary.