Purr and cluck

hbg1

I'm 51, been hunting turkeys since the first season opened in my county but for the life of me I can't get a purr and cluck from a mouth call. I've watched too many YouTube videos to count, any advice or help appreciated.

hbg1

It's hard to explain how to do anything with a mouth call. The best I can offer is that purring (for me) has almost nothing to do with the tongue. It's from the throat. Like you're trying to replicate the sound a cat makes when it purrs or the gurgling sound of a sandhill crane.
I can't seem to push enough air over the call while making the gurgling to make a sound

Boll Weevil

Like SS mentioned maybe try to mimic gargling with mouthwash then purse your lips so air slides over the reeds. It's not exactly the same but might get you on the way to purring a little better.

Rakkin6

If I want a purr I pet my cat it ain't happening with a mouth call for me either. I actually took a handful of mouth calls with me on my last deployment to the sandbox before I retired. Practiced everyday for 6 months straight. Still couldn't get it. Finally I have given up.

fairchaser

I do it with my tongue. It's not the best but it makes the sound. Without the call in, force air over your tongue and allow the tip of the tongue vibrate against the top of your mouth. Then put the call in and replicate. With practice I can make it sound pretty good but when I have to do it under pressure at the moment, I struggle. Mostly worried about being too loud.

Boll Weevil

Heck, some of the competition callers sound more perfect than a real hen. If one can even halfway purr it'll fool most toms.

Layne

It's difficult to consistently do, the cluck is much easier than the purr... If you've watched videos then you've seen all the ways to do it so doubt anyone here will shed much light on it for you, it's definitely the hardest call to master IMO. I find it difficult to do consistently as well so I normally just use a slate then when they are close I just soft cluck if needed.
I use my lips to cluck but the cluck can sound a lot like a putt if not careful.

PalsPal

I can do it, but nowhere near as good as with a slate. So if I need it, I just use the slate. If afraid of movement, I'll just cluck softly on the mouth call.

Latest posts