Project CLUSTER DUCK, honest discussion here

Pic IN the Casa

In my opinion it has nothing to do with who hunts where in this state. As others have said, we all have had the same opportunity to draw, hop or hunt wherever we want across this state. It's been open for all. That cannot be disputed whatsoever. No one has been restricted from doing this.

The big miss by the commission and agency has been on waterfowl habitat development for the east side of the state (and middle to an extent). I suspect there are many areas that could be excellent parcels for waterfowl hunting. This is the case in middle TN where I am at. Percy Priest is surrounded by public land that has quite a few fields that could easily be manipulated for waterfowl hunting. Yet it sits unused. The east side is on the edge of the Atlantic flyway and could be as good or better than middle TN.

Instead of taking so much away from middle and west why doesn't the commission look at ways to develop the east side public lands that are already there. If they do, you never know, we may come east in search of ducks. They sure don't seem to be in middle or west.
Your post makes way too much sense for a government agency.

tickweed

It's about actually getting to participate. I have lived in East TN since 2006. Almost every year on the weekend of the in-person draws I have had Army reserve duty. In addition, I have two buddies that are police officers and another in the reserves with me that all have the same issue. Not everyone can get the time off.

Yes, the chances of getting drawn may decrease as the number of entries increase but at least I will get a chance to enter.

The posts and attitudes of many on here have solidified for me what a monopoly West TN has on the system and how truly selfish many of you are. Why else would so many of you be so pissed about the changes if you weren't potentially losing out on your little corner of duck land. This goes beyond just the draws. What many of you won't admit it because of your networking with the other locals it doesn't matter if you get drawn you will still have access. So with the potential of the new system, you are seeing the playing field leveled. When 30+ individuals of the same group all show up for a draw it even further reduces the chances of the 1-5 guys that may make it over from other areas of the state. I keep hearing it's about everyone getting a trophy. No, it's about having equal access to the trophy. Which according to many of you the trophy has sucked for years with the lack of ducks, so again, why do you care so much about potential changes? Maybe, just maybe...because something that you view as yours isn't?

The commission and TWRA need to look at the potential safety and access issues for people who have barely graced the area, yes. Hopefully, after some reflection, they will refine some aspects of the plan. They also need to explain how the permanent blinds will be paid for and maintained. However, if nothing else, the in-person draws and selling of blinds (as best as possible) need to be eliminated.

The bottom line, the in-person draw system is not equitable to everyone who equally pays for the resource.
A good post, however, if you are coming to west Tn, say Gooch,Tigrett, without a prerun here in the daylight, you will never find these blind sites. And a pre scouting trip may involve when others are already hunting. Now that wont ever fly. It's just not practical. I live with 30 miles of gooch, tigrett. Own a private spot that joins tigrett. These sites will never be located by people not already familiar with them. As dodge man stated earlier, many other factors influence access as well. I cant believe TWRA is even considering this.

casjoker

I have said the same thing as I have seen just how crazy it is trying to find places out there. This is one of the things TWRA/commission needs to look at. For access, Big Lake in AR is a good model. Main channels then runs made off those. Easy to navigate and minimal underwater hazards. However, TWRA doesn't have the resources and some of the geographies in some of our WMAs would make it almost impossible to do.

The just say no approach, or the commission sucks comments aren't going to help find a reasonable middle ground. I can almost guarantee for as many of you writing in and/or posting on here there as many supporting the change. This didn't just happen out of thin air. People have been complaining for years and now the right/wrong (depending on viewpoint) person got in a commissioner's ear.

I think a few changes at a time to measure the impact of those changes is best. Change #1 100% computer draws. Change # 2 eliminate the selling of blinds/using them for commercial purposes. Change #3 identify a couple of WMA's to experiment with the 3, 5, and 7 day hunts. Get an idea of if people are showing up and from where/overall utilization.

Shady

A good post, however, if you are coming to west Tn, say Gooch,Tigrett, without a prerun here in the daylight, you will never find these blind sites. And a pre scouting trip may involve when others are already hunting. Now that wont ever fly. It's just not practical. I live with 30 miles of gooch, tigrett. Own a private spot that joins tigrett. These sites will never be located by people not already familiar with them. As dodge man stated earlier, many other factors influence access as well. I cant believe TWRA is even considering this.

I agree with you to a certain extent, but I think you are selling short some of the hunters from other parts of the state. Yes, there will be some that do not want to put in the effort to scout and learn the area. But others that get drawn will surprise you with their preparation before the hunt. Everyone has to start somewhere, same as the guys local to these areas.

Now the wildcard to all this is the computerized draw. No guarantee the dedicated hunter gets drawn verses the show up morning of the hunt and roam around guy. But at least there's a chance.

Very frustrating situation for all parties involved.

I could easily be wrong, but this could ease some of the pressure on these areas if cross state guys get drawn and choose its not worth the effort. Selfishly, a duck hunter hates nothing worse than other hunter pressure.

Dodge Man

I have said the same thing as I have seen just how crazy it is trying to find places out there. This is one of the things TWRA/commission needs to look at. For access, Big Lake in AR is a good model. Main channels then runs made off those. Easy to navigate and minimal underwater hazards. However, TWRA doesn't have the resources and some of the geographies in some of our WMAs would make it almost impossible to do.

The just say no approach, or the commission sucks comments aren't going to help find a reasonable middle ground. I can almost guarantee for as many of you writing in and/or posting on here there as many supporting the change. This didn't just happen out of thin air. People have been complaining for years and now the right/wrong (depending on viewpoint) person got in a commissioner's ear.

I think a few changes at a time to measure the impact of those changes is best. Change #1 100% computer draws. Change # 2 eliminate the selling of blinds/using them for commercial purposes. Change #3 identify a couple of WMA's to experiment with the 3, 5, and 7 day hunts. Get an idea of if people are showing up and from where/overall utilization.
We already have multiple WMAs that are 3-4 day draw hunts. Bogota WMA, Thorny Cypress WMA, Gooch unit E are just a few to name. And over half of the pools or markers sit empty 3/4 of the season. People don't show up or do show up and figure out they are not equipped to hunt that spot.

Pic IN the Casa

We already have multiple WMAs that are 3-4 day draw hunts. Bogota WMA, Thorny Cypress WMA, Gooch unit E are just a few to name. And over half of the pools or markers sit empty 3/4 of the season. People don't show up or do show up and figure out they are not equipped to hunt that spot.
This is going to be the norm now.

Shady

This is going to be the norm now.
Fewer hunters- less pressure. More opportunities for the local guys that want to go more often.

Worse scenario is a cross state guy gets drawn for one of the season long "good" holes. He's not going to be there very often. More opportunities for the local guys.

I would want my area to be as nasty and unhunter friendly as possible. Then you could find out who hated the ducks the most.

What am I missing here? Honestly don't see the issue.

I will admit I am unfamiliar with TN public duck hunting. Enlighten me, because there may come a day I want to hunt here versus out of state.

Dodge Man

Fewer hunters- less pressure. More opportunities for the local guys that want to go more often.

Worse scenario is a cross state guy gets drawn for one of the season long "good" holes. He's not going to be there very often. More opportunities for the local guys.

I would want my area to be as nasty and unhunter friendly as possible. Then you could find out who hated the ducks the most.

I will admit I am unfamiliar with TN public duck hunting. Enlighten me, because there may come a day I want to hunt here versus out of state.
The biggest issue is the permanent binds will not be repaired by people only hunting 3-5 days. They will not have the equipment or time. So in 3 years the blinds will be burned, some spots can be boat blind hunted but several spots take 2 boats to access. So those spots will end up not getting hunted except by maybe some locals that figure out nobody is hunting it a have the boats and equipment to get in there. But that is not the same quality hunting as from a permanent blind.

Pic IN the Casa

The ppl 4-5 hours away are more likely to go for 3-7 day quota draws rather than 60 day blinds.

Shady

I want to publicly apologize to all the public duck hunters in TN. I was speaking out of turn earlier.

I took the time to actually look all the WMA maps, looked at the blind sites, and read all the new proposals.

I don't know how you guys can handle the current set up, or the new proposals. You have my full respect as hunters. God bless every one of you, and I mean it.

No wonder lease prices are getting out of hand. The demand to get away from public has to be strong. I would be embarrassed to say how much money I spent to duck hunt this year out of state (36 days), but I'm starting to think it was a bargain.

The whole system looks broken to me. There has to be a better way.

tickweed

I agree with you to a certain extent, but I think you are selling short some of the hunters from other parts of the state. Yes, there will be some that do not want to put in the effort to scout and learn the area. But others that get drawn will surprise you with their preparation before the hunt. Everyone has to start somewhere, same as the guys local to these areas.

Now the wildcard to all this is the computerized draw. No guarantee the dedicated hunter gets drawn verses the show up morning of the hunt and roam around guy. But at least there's a chance.

Very frustrating situation for all parties involved.

I could easily be wrong, but this could ease some of the pressure on these areas if cross state guys get drawn and choose its not worth the effort. Selfishly, a duck hunter hates nothing worse than other hunter pressure.
You can prepare all you want, if you come here at 4am morning of the hunt, even with a GPS point, you will NOT find some of these sites. Without help, some even in daylite. It's not like an address on a street. Many require 2 boats. Many have boat trails, only accessible one path. Many cant wade to for ditches, channels. West, middle, east. It's not bout being a good hunter. Its gonna be tough. People lost, riding around while others are hunting, or trying to hunt. Its gonna be tough. Not like bogota or thorny, where you pull up on a gravel rd. Have an area marked at the road.

tickweed

Love to see them put more resources into other areas of the state. Not sure the ducks are there to warrant the effort. I heard from a few old-timers there used to be ducks in East TN. You think it's been rough in West TN...sky watching has a whole new meaning in East TN. The Atlantic Flyway is mostly coastal now and not close to what it used to be numbers-wise. I hunted it a lot in the late '80s to mid-'90s, hunting was good back then. I still hunt it on occasion up in Maine and it is pretty poor these days. On the Atlantic Flyway, they dropped the mallard limit to 2 ducks and only one can be a hen this past season.

Agreed, a permanent blind is way nicer to hunt of than a boat. Yes, I have brushed and maintained more than a couple of blinds, sh!t ton of work that won't be accomplished in a day.
No disrespect, but you are right. East Tn. Typically doesn't have the waterfowl that the Mississippi flyway has.Not my fault, not yours. Doesn't now, never will

Smashdn

Spending a bunch of money on waterfowl in East tn makes as much sense as them spending a bunch of money on elk in west tn.

Now then, east tn hunters are 3-4 hours drive to a blind draw. I'm 3-4 hours drive away from west tn wmas. What's the difference?

And yeah, being closer and being able to network with the blind owners around you helps. You can talk and figure out who is going to be around when. That works when you haven't drawn a blind too.

When we drew last year we spent 5 weekends working on blinds. It takes time and effort to get them safe and hidden. My biggest gripe with the online business was how many blinds went un-fixed and un-brushed this year. That hurts everyone involved.

flyinpro

This may be true but they don't have blinds and Thorny didn't have water or brush last time I was there. I know nothing about Gooch except a friend had a tire slashed I think because he had a Knox Co tag. As for Thorny were disgusted that the pumps weren't even running So no water on the most of it.

JDUB

It's about actually getting to participate. I have lived in East TN since 2006. Almost every year on the weekend of the in-person draws I have had Army reserve duty. In addition, I have two buddies that are police officers and another in the reserves with me that all have the same issue. Not everyone can get the time off.

Yes, the chances of getting drawn may decrease as the number of entries increase but at least I will get a chance to enter.

The posts and attitudes of many on here have solidified for me what a monopoly West TN has on the system and how truly selfish many of you are. Why else would so many of you be so pissed about the changes if you weren't potentially losing out on your little corner of duck land. This goes beyond just the draws. What many of you won't admit it because of your networking with the other locals it doesn't matter if you get drawn you will still have access. So with the potential of the new system, you are seeing the playing field leveled. When 30+ individuals of the same group all show up for a draw it even further reduces the chances of the 1-5 guys that may make it over from other areas of the state. I keep hearing it's about everyone getting a trophy. No, it's about having equal access to the trophy. Which according to many of you the trophy has sucked for years with the lack of ducks, so again, why do you care so much about potential changes? Maybe, just maybe...because something that you view as yours isn't?

The commission and TWRA need to look at the potential safety and access issues for people who have barely graced the area, yes. Hopefully, after some reflection, they will refine some aspects of the plan. They also need to explain how the permanent blinds will be paid for and maintained. However, if nothing else, the in-person draws and selling of blinds (as best as possible) need to be eliminated.

The bottom line, the in-person draw system is not equitable to everyone who equally pays for the resource.
It's a long drive from the east side to spray a hole out that you drew for 3 days on opening weekend. Oh yeah that wetland approved stuff often doesn't work on the first go round. Be prepared to make 2-3 trips just to spray and prep....if you can get the time off

Headhunter

Pretty evident you don't know much about duck hunting in Tennessee.

Where you are required to hunt a designated spot, you hunt every single day that you are able to (especially when the conditions and possibly ducks are moving through) to hopefully have a real of chance of killing ducks on 6 or 7 of those days. If you are able to hunt every day of the season, you up your chances. I know many say hunting every single day "burns" the blind, but there are not enough ducks here to make a difference and letting a spot "rest" makes ZERO difference when the duck counts are so low.

In 90 plus percent of duck blinds on public water in Tennessee, most only have a few days in the entire season where you will have a real chance of killing any number of ducks. Saying you can draw for 3, 5 or 7 days and being told when those days are ahead of time, is the biggest waste of time ever.

As far as selling blinds goes, I don't get why anyone cares and it is illegal. I draw a blind and I have confidence in it. I am not selling it. I am hunting.

But if someone wants to buy it for enough money, great, pay up and I will hunt Arkansas or somewhere that has a lot ducks. I could care less if someone sells a blind they drew.

Last edited:

Latest posts