Problems with bass tracker and 40 hp Mer

Yotekiller011

Guys I need help. My boat has always ran like a top. But last time out for some reason when the throttle is in forward it won't accelerate but like half throttle. In reverse the motor appears to throttle to full. Any suggestions? Is linkage or some kind of module?

Yotekiller011

It throttles in reverse full throttle so I dont think its a float. I've looked at the throttle linkage and it appears to be going full throttle but rpms / motor are not climbing in forward gear but about half way.

rsimms

Problem is, it's not a Yamaha.

I'm really sorry for being a smart a$$. It was just too easy. :blush:

I know Mercs are great motors, and I know how frustrating it is when there's a hard-to-diagnose issue.

If the issue can be duplicated either on the lake or in a tank, I would think a trained mechanic (and his fancy computer-monitoring stuff) should be able to diagnose it fairly easy. With all the electronics and modules these days, it usually does take a computer to actually diagnose.

However if it is an intermittent problem, it can be a nightmare!

I hope you get it figured out and run it until the prop wears off ... and then go buy a Yamaha. :grin:

JimFromTN

I have had a similar issue with a merc 115hp that turned out to be the stator. This might be obvious or seem silly but if your tank is not one that is permanantly in the boat, in other words its one of those red ones that you can pull out of the boat, sometimes the vent closes on the tank and does not get enough air. There is a knob, possibly on the cap that unscrews which is the vent. I have seen it happen before.

dr

Might be stator. I'd try adding some stabil to the fuel first, might be bad fuel or a clog.

Latest posts