Primos Silver Scent Eliminator

BlueMarlin

I have given a few of my hard earned dollars to the scent ellimination companies and wanted to hear what you all think about them.

A friend called one day and said I was spending too much money on the brand names when all I had to do was got buy the scent ellimiation stuff from the pet store by the gallon for a fraction of the cost. I checked that theory out by reading a few lables only to come away more confused. All of them have an aroma added which would defeat the purpose. What do you say? :crazy:

BlueMarlin

Thanks for the feedback bk88. I too have used the Hunter Specialties products for several years and was trying to find a more economical approach or more effective if there is such a thing.

turkeyhunter

I have saved some money and had good results useing products not made special for hunting. For my clothes, I use scent free dye free detergent. Cost around 4 dollars. I think the stuff is made for people who have allergies and cant use reg. detergents. The same for my soaps and shampoo. I shower bfore going hunting. I also keep my clothes in a plastic container. I do not put them on until I get to my hunting spot. My second layer that is. The scent spray ,I make from a homebrew I got off this site. Works great ,I have no complaints. My hunting boots stay in a container also. They only touch the ground I never wear them in the truck , home, store etc. I keep them clean, and spray down with homebrew each hunt. I have spent a ton of money on the soaps and stuff made for hunting ,but I have found the reg. soaps work just as well and cost much less.

BlueMarlin

Turkeyhunter, I am interested in the home brew you mentioned. I am going to use a more regimented scent-free regime this season which brings me to another question. You mentioned the scent-free garmets are the second layer. What do you do with excess cloths or shoes once you've changed into the scent-free duds?
Respectfully,

BlackBelt

I'm trying out the new EliminX scent killer spray from Knight and Hale. My only problem with it is that it's EXPENSIVE!

I used to use Hunters Specialties, but I've always been able to faintly smell the spray. Kind of a sweet smell. Faint, but it's there. I figure if I can smell, so can a deer.

I mentioned it to one of the guys at BassPro, and he told me that it didn't have any odor. So I popped the top off of one of the bottles, and he admitted that he could also smell it.

Of course, my Thermacell has a scent also, and it doesn't bother the deer, so maybe the faint sweet scent of the HS Scent killer doesn't bother them either.

turkeyhunter

Bluemarlin all my layers are washed in scent free detergent and kept in containers. I put on my base layer and wear in my truck until I get to my hunting spot. Once I get to my lease I take my second layer out of the container ( pants, jacket, etc.) finish getting dressed. Then i slip on my rubber boots. During extrem cold weather I will dress at the base of my tree to keep from getting so hot then freezing to death. My base layer is only wore one hunting trip. Second layer may get two trips . Depends on how the weather is. The spray that I use contains 3% peroxide, distilled water, baking soda, 1 once scent free soap. I do not have the exact measurements with me. But if you search this web page you should find it. I see no difference in the system I use now,than buying the high dollar stuff i have used before. The containers and washing clothes is a lot of extra work, but it has made a huge difference in the deer I see.

BlackBelt

turkeyhunter said:
BlackBelt, I think its the human odor that spook deer. Do you think the sweet smell in a scent spray will alarm a deer?
----------------------------------------------------

I also think that its the human odor that is the alarm bell for deer. But I'd rather have NO smell than even a sweet non-human smell!!! I don't think that all abnormal odors in the woods bother deer. I mean, the thermacell odor doesn't seem to spook them at all.
Still, I'd rather be as odorless as possible.

turkeyhunter

I agree. But all the scent stuff I have ever bought had some type smell to it. The green soap, the spray, all had an odor to it. But I figured it is about scent free as possible. That was my reason for not buying the expensive scent killers. Plus Im cheap. lol

cruff10

turkeyhunter said:
I have saved some money and had good results useing products not made special for hunting. For my clothes, I use scent free dye free detergent. Cost around 4 dollars. I think the stuff is made for people who have allergies and cant use reg. detergents. .

I do this as well!!! You can get it cheaper at Big Lots as well!!! Alot cheaper than the Deer Hunting HS kind in the hunting section.....

deerslayer25

dead down wind... every deer ive killed i've tried to be in the right spot for the wind direction but we cant predict the wind change.. best for me yet

Team Browning

Remember there are 2 different things happening here. 1 is scent elimination and 1 cover scent. Just like on your deodorant you use every day (I hope) you have an anti-perspirant and a deodorant. Some may be a combination of the 2. Some just may be trying to do one or the other.

On the scent elimination thing - you shouldnt smell anything. On the cover scent, you should smell something. Do the deer associate it with humans? Never know unless you have the opportunity to sit back and experience it up close. It is so hard to say what experience that each deer has had that would lead them to bolt of they smell the latest and greatest. I use the new Primo stuff. Does it work? Ive gotten busted once this year that I know of. What was it on me he smelled? No clue. Could be 100 things I suppose but I too keep my hunting stuff in a sealed plastic box and keep my hunting gear separate from everything else.

Latest posts