Primer Tool

mjac

Central west coast of Florida, but hunt SE Tn.
My Lee hand primer, an old one with a square plastic tray, has seen better days and want to have a replacement on hand before it fails me at the wrong time.
It has, of course, been discontinued and I have been unable to find replacement parts.

Recommend a replacement, please. Bench or hand.

Thanks

DaveB

I used the round Lee for over 20 years. The plastic cover cracked from age so I tossed it aside and bought the Lee Square.

If you have ten to do or 1000 I like the RCBS autoprime.

Here recently I have given it a workout-over 8,000 cases primed. There is a glitch-the small rifle spring loaded primer will come unscrewed. You know because the device starts throwing primers all over the floor. Other than that, its perfect.

Yeah, it costs more. Yep, NO hand cramps. Yep, I bought extra tubes on ebay saved a ton.

Attachments

• autoprime.jpg
    autoprime.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 285

Tenntrapper

I've got a brand new, in the box, Lee auto prime. It came in a kit I bought. Your welcome to it, if you want it. I've never used, or intend to use. Just taking up space.

Edit to add. I'm pretty sure I have a set of new shell holders for it. You can have those as well. If you're so inclined.

bigtex

DaveB":1vca6m79 said:

Here recently I have given it a workout-over 8,000 cases primed. There is a glitch-the small rifle spring loaded primer will come unscrewed. You know because the device starts throwing primers all over the floor. Other than that, its perfect.
That is what I use as well, works like a charm!!

mjac

Tenntrapper":1s8ug9wf said:
I've got a brand new, in the box, Lee auto prime. It came in a kit I bought. Your welcome to it, if you want it. I've never used, or intend to use. Just taking up space.

Edit to add. I'm pretty sure I have a set of new shell holders for it. You can have those as well. If you're so inclined.
Thank you for your very kind offer. After consideration I am leaning towards a bench mounted primer tool. So I'll just leave this here as someone with younger, non arthritic hands, may take you up on your offer.
Again a much appreciated offer.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

DaveB

I forgot.

My square Lee jams constantly. The elevator and need to tilt the tray so gravity can cause the primer to drop into place is subject to malfunction. I can attest that a single piece of gnat poop can cause the primers not to drop into place.

RCBS
The autoprime seems to me to be much safer than any of the other hand held devices. After 5 uncontained primers exploded recently I am much more in tune with physical security. I want one primer in play and the rest out of (most likely) secondary explosion range.

Yes, the RCBS price is insane high. However, the cost of the alternatives does not include your time. Conduct your own experiement: go get 100 223 brass, load the RCBS tube with 100 primers, and ready set start timer go. WHen all 100 are primed, stop timer.

Now repeat test with hand held.

Compare time. Test is over

mjac

DaveB":26ukq2od said:
I used the round Lee for over 20 years. The plastic cover cracked from age so I tossed it aside and bought the Lee Square.

Yeah, it costs more. Yep, NO hand cramps. Yep, I bought extra tubes on ebay saved a ton.
Dave,
How are those tubes filled and do the primers self orientate?
Thanks,
Mike

bigtex

mjac":3s8o9i3i said:
DaveB":3s8o9i3i said:

Dave,
How are those tubes filled and do the primers self orientate?
Thanks,
Mike

Not Dave but I use the same priming tool. The tube has a little plastic thingie on the top end, you pour your primers into a primer tray shake them around a bit to orient them anvil side up, put cover on primer tray, turn upside down, take cover off and press the tube with the plastic thingie over the primers one at a time.
The tube also has a hole that you slide a pin into which keeps the primers from sliding out when you put the tube into the priming tool. When you have the tube installed slide the pin out and the primers fall down the last 1/2" or so and are ready to go into the priming tool head.
Sounds complicated but it isnt.

brassmagnet

Hornady hand primer here also have a Lee in .44 magnum, shell holder is not interchangeable, it was old when I bought it nearly 50 years ago, still ticking.

DaveB

The aluminum tubes have a pin that blocks the tube and stops primers from falling on the floor and that pin works very well. Leave the pin in the tube.

What I do is pretty much what BigTex said. Somehow, figure your own way, get the primers on clean flat surface shiny side up NOT anvil side.

Pick up aluminum tube and press white plastic end onto a primer. Voila!! the primer has disappeared. Proceed to the next until all primers are in the tube. IIRC the tube holds about 120 primers.

Take the tube containing the primers and stick open end into the RCBS and don't force it. Remove pin. When priming a case the amount of force required is very little, we can thank Archimedes. Do not bear down on the handle.

If you did not properly assemble the RCBS you will know instantly. When you move the arm to set a primer in place the primer will jump out and land on the floor. This I know. It may happen so fast you don't see the primer jump so you may repeat the step several times before you are aware of the primers underfoot.

Get the hex wrench, unloose the set screw so that the shellholder jig can move freely. With the shellholder and primer cup in place lift the jig until the top of the primer cup is below the shellholder center hole mebbe .004 but you can eyeball it. Tighten the set screw while holding the jig in place. Yes, you need a third hand but I can do it by digit dexterity, therefor so can you.

Work the arm, a primer should land in the primer cup anvil side up and ready to be installed. If the primer is crooked your adjustment of the jig is no good, do again and raise jig higher but be sure the set screw is inside the adjustment ring on the jig.

The primer cup is composed of a rod into which is screwed the primer cup with spring. Strangely enough that w/spring assembly will loosen and begin to throw primers on the floor. I cannot stop it, it occurs with fewer than 100 primers so be prepared to remove the assembly, push against the spring, and tighten the screw.

If you are not paying attention and run out of primers and attempt to install a primer it is entirely possible the w/assembly unit will be embedded in the brass. This I know. You must fetch your hex wrench undo the set screw and attempt to remove the w/assembly. If you can't pull it apart get your favorite Universal decap rod, hammer, and gloves and knock the w/assembly free. Reinstall and get back to priming. After 4 or 5 of these events you will pay more attention. This I know.

Sounds like an adventure to Walmart but after a brief training period you will become quite proficient and complete your objective with no hand cramps.